Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

1949? Motorola 10VT24R, TS-14B chassis

Hey ya'll, It's been a little while. Well I thought I was going to be getting to my Zenith SC, but the space I had reserved for pulling it apart in is not available anymore at the moment, and like I said before, I'm not dragging it down to the basement. For now, It'll wait.

Anyway's, after recapping some radio's, I've decided to get into this set. It's allready got an issue. Well, what's new about that.
So far, I've replaced all the Electrolytic caps, some paper that looked suspicious, and some that were clustered together around the suspicious one's since I was on a role... I have more to go. I also allready swapped the celenium's for 1N4007 diode's.
Unfortunatly I dont have a schematic to go by for this one. It's on ETF's site but it's too hard to read...http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/m...4_manual.pdfSo i've been going with what's in the set since it was complete and didn't look burnt.

Well, I tried a power up and... blew an E-cap It was only at 30V!...
I also found that none of the tubes had lit up(all are good) and I had really heated up another e-cap. Both of these caps are connected to the diode's. The diodes are wired in the same as the celeniums were. positive-negative wise. I never added any resistors too them. (I don't know if they need them or not.) The cap that blew was a replacement for 140mfd/150v. I had 147mf/160v in place and it heated the 100mfd/300v cap up. Nothing that I could see was shorted out on another component, so why would it do this with only 30v being introduced into the set???

some pics.
Note: I know my e-caps look like a mess, but nothing is touching what it shouldn't be. I also have pictures of what I beleive is a capacitor. Is that the value on the backside or a part# that looks like a cap value? I havn't come across capacitors that look like that one yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3507.jpg (148.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3512.jpg (145.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3513.jpg (143.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3514.jpg (141.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3515.jpg (91.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3516.jpg (119.6 KB, 67 views)