Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Sony TV-950 Saved from Goodwill Recycling

Hello everyone, today (well actually yesterday) I had spotted in one of the donation lowboys at the Goodwill I work at a late 1960s Sony TV-950 B & W portable TV that was still in extremely good shape, including the original rod antenna and I thought about asking them yesterday if I could buy it off them (since they don't take TVs anymore) and I never did it so I came back to work today and I went to see if the lowboy that the TV was in was still there and sure enough it wasn't so I went to look in some of the recycling lowboys and sure enough it was there but the cord was cut off of it so I asked my boss that was working today if I could buy it off of the recycling even though the cord was cut off and she said it was fine and I got it for a $1.99.
So I have to wire on a new cord to see if it still works or not, and hopefully rewiring the cord isn't too convoluted on this TV or else its just going to have to be a display piece.

Its really dirty and the reason why I said it was probably from the late 1960s is because it has the Continuous UHF instead of the Click-Stop UHF.

I have some pictures of the aforementioned unit for you guys to look at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2728.jpg (92.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2729.jpg (113.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2730.jpg (122.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2731.jpg (92.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2732.jpg (104.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 12:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Hello everyone, today (well actually yesterday) I had spotted in one of the donation lowboys at the Goodwill I work at a late 1960s Sony TV-950 B & W portable TV that was still in extremely good shape, including the original rod antenna and I thought about asking them yesterday if I could buy it off them (since they don't take TVs anymore) and I never did it so I came back to work today and I went to see if the lowboy that the TV was in was still there and sure enough it wasn't so I went to look in some of the recycling lowboys and sure enough it was there but the cord was cut off of it so I asked my boss that was working today if I could buy it off of the recycling even though the cord was cut off and she said it was fine and I got it for a $1.99.
So I have to wire on a new cord to see if it still works or not, and hopefully rewiring the cord isn't too convoluted on this TV or else its just going to have to be a display piece.

Its really dirty and the reason why I said it was probably from the late 1960s is because it has the Continuous UHF instead of the Click-Stop UHF.

I have some pictures of the aforementioned unit for you guys to look at.
You have enough left to splice a temporary cord to it, to check out it's working condition.
If you decide to keep it, you can do it properly.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You have enough left to splice a temporary cord to it, to check out it's working condition.
If you decide to keep it, you can do it properly.
Well I already replaced the cord anyways, and did it right, it wasn't too hard surprisingly enough except for when it came to removing the old cord off of the contacts that they were soldered to on the circuit board for the power supply, so I just moreor less cut it off and just wrapped the new cord's wires around where the old ones were at and soldered it into place. and went from there, I fired it up and it took about 5 minutes for me to get a decent viewable picture from the TV, and even then the picture is kind of dark and dim, and not very bright, although I'm guessing that it might just need to be ran for a while to "wake-up" the picture tube as it looked like it hasn't been used it probably a good 20-30 years or so by the amount of dust built up inside of the unit and by how dirty it is.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well I already replaced the cord anyways, and did it right, it wasn't too hard surprisingly enough except for when it came to removing the old cord off of the contacts that they were soldered to on the circuit board for the power supply, so I just moreor less cut it off and just wrapped the new cord's wires around where the old ones were at and soldered it into place. and went from there, I fired it up and it took about 5 minutes for me to get a decent viewable picture from the TV, and even then the picture is kind of dark and dim, and not very bright, although I'm guessing that it might just need to be ran for a while to "wake-up" the picture tube as it looked like it hasn't been used it probably a good 20-30 years or so by the amount of dust built up inside of the unit and by how dirty it is.
The buildup of dust on the inside of the set is the result of it being used a lot in a dusty area. The heat and HV draw in the dust.
I have a similar Sony, that was made for world wide use. It has two switches on top, one for 120/220 volts and one for different regions. I don't remember the legends, but when it's switched, the picture rolls and the sound gets distorted. It even has channel one, plus UHF.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:12 PM
M is for Memory

Continuous UHF tuners were around till the early-mid 70's. I think it was somewhere between 1973-75 when they were banned on most TVs.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Continuous UHF tuners were around till the early-mid 70's. I think it was somewhere between 1973-75 when they were banned on most TVs.
Yes, I know that, but the overall design of the TV to me looks late 1960s, plus the original power cord on this unit (before it was cut off) looked just like the power cord that was on an old Sony All-in-one stereo system that a friend of mine that I used to go to church with used to have that had a Dual 1218 turntable built into it which the Dual 1218s were from around 1966-1968, which is the other reason why I think this TV is from the late 1960s.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I don't believe that they were ever "banned"... but the FCC required that the tuning method *must be the same* for both bands. If the VHF band was also continuous tuned it was ok for The UHF. Many small portables, such as the flat tube Sonys used continuous tuning through the 80s-90 or later, when digital tuning took over.

jr
Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I don't believe that they were ever "banned"... but the FCC required that the tuning method *must be the same* for both bands. If the VHF band was also continuous tuned it was ok for The UHF. Many small portables, such as the flat tube Sonys used continuous tuning through the 80s-90 or later, when digital tuning took over.

jr
That is why I prefaced that statement with "I think"....It's been too long since I last saw info on the specifics of that to be sure I had it completely right. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
M is for Memory

Sony used that style of cord for years and years....I have a 1964 Sony TV, and 70's RTR tape machines with it. The danger is though many of those cords mechanically interchange not all of them send the same voltages to the same terminals. If you ever find a set without a cord and a separate cord elsewhere it would be wise to confirm pin-out and voltage match before applying power.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sony used that style of cord for years and years....I have a 1964 Sony TV, and 70's RTR tape machines with it. The danger is though many of those cords mechanically interchange not all of them send the same voltages to the same terminals. If you ever find a set without a cord and a separate cord elsewhere it would be wise to confirm pin-out and voltage match before applying power.
This had a hardwired power cord so there was nothing to worry about concerning whether or not the cord would be interchangable or not.
This TV was also a Cold Chassis set surprisingly enough which is the other reason why I think this TV predates the 1970s because I think that by the 1970s most portable TVs (specifically 13" or smaller sets, this set being a 9") were Hot Chassis sets, from what little research I was able to do on portable TVs.
The other dead give away is that it uses Germanium Transistors inside the unit instead of Silicone Transistors which I think that by the 1970s they started to phase out Germanium Transistors in favor of Silicone Transistors.

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-13-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Almost all if not all early sets that ran on 12 VDC used
a power transformer. Latter sets sometimes used a multivibrator
& higher voltages to run the set. RCA comes to mind. Its
all about economics.

73 Zeno
Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

And I have seen ONE GE "XB"hot chassis set--from the mid-70's or so that used a switcher to step UP the 12 volt input for the chassis. It had to be mid-70's or so.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Almost all if not all early sets that ran on 12 VDC used
a power transformer. Latter sets sometimes used a multivibrator
& higher voltages to run the set. RCA comes to mind. Its
all about economics.

73 Zeno
And Zenith continued to use cold chassis for their BW 13" sets till 1978..12KB1 chassis. Also in that period their lager BW sets----with the 19GB1 chassis--it used a VRT for power even. As did the "flat chassis BW 19FB12 chassis that came before it , a couple of us here have.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well Anyways I'm surprised no one on here had mentioned anything about this one being a good save, because I know that the Montgomery Wards TV I saved and posted about on here everyone was talking about and saying how much of a good save that one was but when I save this old Sony regardless of whether or not it was from the '60s or the '70s should of been considered just as good of a save because its a lot earlier than the Montgomery Wards set I saved earlier.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 AM
M is for Memory

Sony in that era had the really small portable TV market in the palm of it's hand. It is not a very rare set compared to the wards.

Audiokarma