Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

'99 Daewoo BPC TV with missing filter cap (from the factory)

I know that they'll do just about anything to cut corners; but, this goes overboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ66Z-HHuP0
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the commentary about the quality of Daewoo sets, in general.

When I was doing Magnavox service with a dealer, we got a 19" Philips built set in an unopened box that was missing its flyback. It was a 19C3 chassis.

We wondered for a long time how this set got past quality control... until we got one that was missing its onboard tuner assembly... a 26B1 chassis.

I got warranty parts from NAP for both of these sets. I purchased the 26B1 set, and still have it in my sisters guest bedroom. Other than the missing parts, both sets functioned perfectly, after setting them up properly.

Amazing what an assembly line can do. I wonder how many other sets got away unfinished?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Unbelievable. Then again, no, not really...I share yr sentiments on digital TV, too.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator

He sounds like Hank Hill.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
M is for Memory

I agree with you about DTV.

On some electronics where the same basic boards were put into models with different features the low end models that lacked some features would not have the chips and lytics, for the features that were not supposed to be in that model, installed to make the cheap models not cost the same as the high-end ones.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I like the commentary about the quality of Daewoo sets, in general.

When I was doing Magnavox service with a dealer, we got a 19" Philips built set in an unopened box that was missing its flyback. It was a 19C3 chassis.

We wondered for a long time how this set got past quality control... until we got one that was missing its onboard tuner assembly... a 26B1 chassis.

I got warranty parts from NAP for both of these sets. I purchased the 26B1 set, and still have it in my sisters guest bedroom. Other than the missing parts, both sets functioned perfectly, after setting them up properly.

Amazing what an assembly line can do. I wonder how many other sets got away unfinished?
Say what, completely missing parts? That's a shame!

I never cared for Magnavox.. Had a 19" Philips/Magnavox, and the tuner module keep falling apart.. I had to not solder it back together (the F-connector), I had to WELD it back together.. Screw that! (it was a 1999 TV).
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was around '99 when Philips/Magnavox TV's really started going down the toilet. Previous models were not bad sets. We had a circa 1982 19" Magnavox that was on more than it was off. We used it up until around '94 when the CRT became too weak to produce a watchable picture.

The RF connectors on most TV's from the '90's on up were not attached very well and it does not take much effort to rip one clean out of the tuner. I can't tell you how many TV's I've fixed that would either fall over while the cable was still connected or people would forget to disconnect the cable before moving the set and the result is that the RF connector gets ripped out. Personally, I've never done that because I never had any of my TV's sitting in a position where they'd fall and I've never forgotten to disconnect the cable before moving a set.

Those connectors are lightly crimped on from the factory. When I replace one, I solder it to the tuner. They'll do some major damage if they rip one out after I'm done with it. I've had a few where the tuner would become damaged beyond repair when the connector was ripped out; but, I've been able to fix a good many of them.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Heh, for a while I thought I had accidentally broke the tuner somehow.. It was just merely sitting there, and while screwing on another coax cable it snapped off...

I gave the TV to my mom, but she gave it back to me, saying the picture would go high in brightness by itself then go back normal.. She said it would actually "flash" at a high brightness for like 2 seconds at a time..

I've had the TV back for a year, haven't seen this happen though. Hmm..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Motorola Minion

I wonder how a set like this was in use without a major filter unless it was sitting on a return shelf for 13 years??

Daewoo made cars too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo , then went bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Sounds like someone was NAPping. (couldn't resist)

The dealer I worked for part-time in HS ditched Magnavox after selling a boat load of T809 and T815 sets in '81, which kept the shop busy for a while. Once NAP redesigned their line and there was nothing left but the name, and issues with MAG MTS sound picking up noise on select channels carried by the local cable system, then NAP refused to warranty the fix. A year later they picked up Panasonic.

The same dealer dropped Zenith (after system 3 came out) and picked up Sony. 5 years later, the RCA-GE merge under thomson also was not without some issues.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have an RCA XL-100 from the 90's, which I believe is a Thomson made set, and oh god was that TV a nightmare.. Within 5 years it died.. Dropping the TV 1 foot off the ground onto a soft carpet, would sometimes get it to kick start and start working again, and once it was on, it'd stay on until it needed to be turned off again.

Then when I took it apart as a kid, I couldn't find anything wrong.. When I later learned electronics, I took another stab at it. I figured, it must have been a loose solder joint. I looked all over the board, and couldn't find one bad solder joint, so I was left confused.

Then I noticed a nice big burn spot on the board. A transistor that helps start the TV, was burned to a crisp. I couldn't understand how a transistor only used to start the TV, could be burned so badly.. I was a kid, I usually either left the TV on or didn't use it at all (I didn't understand then about saving energy and stuff like that). I replaced the transistor with a different, but comparable part that is better.. So far the TV still works today, but is in storage now..
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Peanut Head

Doing repair work on guitar amps, I see shoddy construction on the newer ones all of the time.
A few years ago, a fella called me saying that he had special ordered a Fender Bassman 4x10 amp from a dealer in Memphis.
Foolishly, he didn't try it out. He went over there, paid for it and brought it home and it was DOA. Zippo...nada...
He called me and I said "Sure, I'll look at it, but if I were you I'd head back over there and shove it up their asses."
Anyway, he brought it to me and what I found was a chassis with a half-dozen "quality control" stickers and signatures all over it....and....a choke hanging off the chassis by one loose screw and a rectifier tube socket that had nothing attached to it.
So much for Fender's quality control.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

Daewoo made cars too then went bankrupt.

They still do.... Chevy Aveo. They also made the early 90's Pontiac LeMans. When they went bankrupt they pulled out of the US but gm bought them out and used their facilities to produce small cars, seeing as a lot of stuff was shared between to two (primarily overseas).

They still manufacture heavy industries stuff for sale in the US (forklifts, bulldozers, cranes etc). Also air conditioners, microwaves, etc. probably different arms of the company no doubt, but they're still around.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, GM bought everything but the American sales arm of Daewoo, so they wouldn't have any responsibility for parts or warranties.

There are some Suzukis built by Daewoo also.