Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got some answers for you on this believe it or not...

Discharging the CRT's... that thick wire that runs to the anode cap can be disconnected from the flyback. Exactly how I'm not sure, but it does. HV is fairly low, around 9 KV or so. I believe you can discharge the HV to chassis ground without any ill effects. That's how I did it when that Phillips needed a coolant change in the green and blue CRT's.

As for mounting a projector in the TV so as not to deal with the hassle of CRT's and convergence... I have also tried this. You'd need an extremely short throw projector, something capable of making a 60" image from 20 or so inches away. As in, it's not possible with your run of the mill projector.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
I got some answers for you on this believe it or not...

Discharging the CRT's... that thick wire that runs to the anode cap can be disconnected from the flyback. Exactly how I'm not sure, but it does. HV is fairly low, around 9 KV or so. I believe you can discharge the HV to chassis ground without any ill effects. That's how I did it when that Phillips needed a coolant change in the green and blue CRT's.

As for mounting a projector in the TV so as not to deal with the hassle of CRT's and convergence... I have also tried this. You'd need an extremely short throw projector, something capable of making a 60" image from 20 or so inches away. As in, it's not possible with your run of the mill projector.
Maybe some used Epson BrightLinks from school systems? I almost forgot about those. Expensive as hell though.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh I'm sure something exists that could fit inside one of these TV's and fill the screen with a bright, sharp image.

But the cost would make doing this ridiculous. Much easier and cheaper just to fix the existing chassis.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

And don't buy cheap generic stk chips. you will just be pissing in the wind buy oem sanyo replacements.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaman View Post
And don't buy cheap generic stk chips. you will just be pissing in the wind buy oem sanyo replacements.
This reminds me when I repaired my Sony CDP-101, the worlds first CD player from the early 80's. It used stock, STK chips for the servo controllers, and they failed of course. I found replacements that emulate the purpose of them with discrete components, far larger and needs a heatsink, but still works!.
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2016, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Until now I always thought "short through" was a lens that you could put on most projectors. I can find some older models pretty cheap and I've seen some with cosmetic damage even cheaper. I was looking for one of those stupid $20 pocket projectors from China to play with, but of course they are no longer flooding eBay now that I thought about getting one.

I would have to remove the CRT's so I could mount the projector without it getting in it's own way and that would give some extra distance. I wonder if these CRT's would sell to cover the cost of a project. They are low hour and the coolant is not foggy at all.

It sounds like a fun thing to play with and could be interesting, especially if some one starts making fun of my old TV and I turn it on to blow them away with 4K, haha. I don't think I will be investing in 4k at all though.

Looks like this thing will sit for a bit while I work up the $75 for the kit, wait untill I have a weekend, then there is the remote to deal with. You have to hit PIP+SWAP (IIRC) to write the rom after getting it set up. Magic Focus" still seems to work fine for the green and red after I do a reset with the service switch, so I am thinking that might not be a huge issue. I can "rent" the remote for $20 (80-$60 upon return) or wait for it to pop up on eBay.