Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back when we got our first VCR, my sister was the movie rental queen and, often, she'd let us watch some of her movies before they had to be returned. One time, she sent a movie over (I don't recall the title) and me and my parents sat down to watch it. Within 5 minutes, someone said "GD" and my father turned it off and gave my sister an earful for sending such a movie over. When I was growing up, my parents were the "V-chip". If there was something they didn't want me to watch, I didn't watch it and it was not open for discussion.

Now, many parents couldn't care less what their children see or hear.

Yes, I watched all those "politically incorrect" cartoons; but, I had parents who actually taught me right from wrong and I knew the difference between the real world and what was on TV. Personally, I still see nothing wrong with those cartoons. There are far worse programs on TV that I would not want my kids to see.

IMHO, things started going down the toilet when everyone developed an "anything goes" attitude and when parents stopped parenting.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

For what it's worth, Leave It to Beaver had the first toilet tank on television way back in 1957. Wally and the Beaver keep their pet alligator there to avoid detection by Ward and June. The bowl portion isn't shown and the toilet itself is referred to as an aquarium. Of course, it was all downhill for America after that transgression against common decency.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewberry View Post
For what it's worth, Leave It to Beaver had the first toilet tank on television way back in 1957. Wally and the Beaver keep their pet alligator there to avoid detection by Ward and June. The bowl portion isn't shown and the toilet itself is referred to as an aquarium. Of course, it was all downhill for America after that transgression against common decency.

Yeah,I just thought about that last night watching the episode "Captain Jack"

I wonder if you can still send away for one of those Alligators today?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Back when we got our first VCR, my sister was the movie rental queen and, often, she'd let us watch some of her movies before they had to be returned. One time, she sent a movie over (I don't recall the title) and me and my parents sat down to watch it. Within 5 minutes, someone said "GD" and my father turned it off and gave my sister an earful for sending such a movie over. When I was growing up, my parents were the "V-chip". If there was something they didn't want me to watch, I didn't watch it and it was not open for discussion.

Now, many parents couldn't care less what their children see or hear.

Yes, I watched all those "politically incorrect" cartoons; but, I had parents who actually taught me right from wrong and I knew the difference between the real world and what was on TV. Personally, I still see nothing wrong with those cartoons. There are far worse programs on TV that I would not want my kids to see.

IMHO, things started going down the toilet when everyone developed an "anything goes" attitude and when parents stopped parenting.
Well put "radiotvnut",I agree with you 100 per cent.
Dads used to be a force to be reckoned with,now they suffer from "peter pan" syndrome,nobody wants to grow up and be responsible.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
Well put "radiotvnut",I agree with you 100 per cent.
Dads used to be a force to be reckoned with,now they suffer from "peter pan" syndrome,nobody wants to grow up and be responsible.
These "peter pan" parents are the type who's kids pitch a fit in public and, at best, their mommy or daddy tells them, "Now, stop that or you're going in time out (for 3 minutes)". My parents would have warmed my rear end right there on the spot and it would not have mattered who did or did not like it.

These "peter pan" parents are the reason there is virtually no punishment in schools because they threaten legal action against the school system if they touch their innocent little darlings. And, any trouble their kids get in to is not their fault. It's always due to an "unfair" teacher or someone else. When I was in school, my Mother told them to warm my rear end if I got into trouble and to let them know because I'd get it again when I got home. I knew they meant business and I did everything I could to behave in school.

These "peter pan" parents are the type who allow their kids to "negotiate" with them. There wasn't any "negotiation" with my parents. When they said do something, I did it and I knew better than to ask "why".

These "peter pan" parents give their kids everything they want on a silver platter because "they don't want their kids to grow up doing without certain things like they had to do".

Then, these "peter pan" parents wonder, when their kids become adults, why they are into drugs, are in jail, and/or can't take care of themselves without having to depend on mommy and daddy for money every month.
Audiokarma