Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Stuck in the past!

It's your vote! Newer flat screen HD sets or older crt sets.

Which do you prefer for daily use? Today's newer flat 1080p sets including the 4k line, or older crt sets?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I prefer newer HD capable flat-screen sets for watching modern movies and television programming. I actually prefer video projection on a big white screen.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never owned a flat screen set, never will. That said, I watch tv on the lcd screen on my computer all the time.

I sort of have 4 TVs set up as daily use sets right now. I'm currently using my 74 Zenith 25" color as a living room set, 84 Zenith 13" color as a bedroom set, 69 22" Zenith b/w as a basement set, and a 71 Zenith 12" b/w on my desk.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I was given a flat screen Vizio thing several years ago. I hated it so much that I gave it to somebody else. I will only watch TV on a proper CRT television. I would rather have a Zenith roundie with Space Command 600 than one of those Samsung Super Ultra Mega Crazy High Def pieces of junk.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:26 PM
M is for Memory

I'm still all CRT with the newest in the main cluster being a 1971.

The folks got a LCD set this Christmas that I'll occasionally watch a little....It is making me want a Sony Super-Fine-Pitch CRT HD set for myself more and more...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2016, 02:49 PM
sampson159

i would rather watch a zenith chromamcolr or a sylvania with the dark matrix crt over any flatscreen.ad a good rca or zenith roundie to the mix while we are at it
Old 01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

4k display, but only feeding it HD at the moment.

OTA, BluRay, or local file playback results in nice-looking HD. Cable, satellite, and other "managed bandwidth" sources are less appealing.

I often see free CRT HD sets on CL. Next one I see I'm going to call up a strong friend and go get it.

Chip
Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to be of the "either one is fine" crowd- but now it seems like most newer shows and movies are shot in a way that you almost have to have a bigger TV. Ever notice that? Like they incorporate a lot of scenery, like it's not zoomed in as tight. When I watch modern content on our tiny 19" CRT in the bedroom, I about can't see anything, especially if it's widescreen, lol.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Depends on what I'm watching, modern wide format stuff (don't have any digital sources except internet), I watch on an Apple 23" cinema flat panel display (Circa 2001). Don't really care for having the sides of the picture cut off. For older 4:3 content, either my 1968 23" B&W Wollensak (Setchell Carlson)- For B&W movies and old Tv), or my Sony 32" WEGA CRT set for DVD and color VHS tapes). By switching Monitors/TVs, I can avoid most letter-boxing or having the sides cut off. The Sony WEGA still looks good with letter-boxed DVDs. I really prefer my Wollensak B&W set for monochrome stuff, gives a sharp picture with great contrast and brightness, it's a low hour set. I don't have any HD sources, except my computer. Dont watch much on that, except Dr. Who and a few netflix shows.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

re: Coogar's comment about widescreen... On the films, they were framed up and shot wide-screen originally -- at least for the past 40-50 years or so. Things were cropped or "pan 'n scanned" on film-to-tape transfer. Now HD will allow display in a way that is closer to original screen layout.

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

A TV picture is only as good as the source. For what I watch I prefer a CRT. None of this HDTV or 4K is really worth watching. Give me a good John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart picture!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
A TV picture is only as good as the source. For what I watch I prefer a CRT. None of this HDTV or 4K is really worth watching. Give me a good John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart picture!
Well those older movies are HD quality on their original film form, and many after 1953 were Wide Screen, so you aren't seeing them the way they were created if you watch them on older standard definition non-wide-screen TV's.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 PM
M is for Memory

Letterboxed NTSC is as good as original minus a pinch of resolution and effective screen size.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I prefer older CRT sets..nothing else that's why i have several tvs with CRT in case the TV with CRT disappear .
Audiokarma