Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
I am curious if you have verified if all wires are in fact OK (good/acceptable) You must remember you are working on a TV that is now 32(+) years old! Wires of this age can break down over time, causing an increase in resistance in the copper conductor (or aluminum in some special cases due to corrosion due to the presense of moisture) which can lower the operating voltage(s) needed for CRITICAL circuits! However YOU MUST and I stress the word MUST be VERY and I stress the word VERY careful when working in and around a powered (or unpowered) TV (television) set of this age (1981 as you mentioned earlier in this thread, on April 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM). There are DANGEROUS, I repeat DANGEROUS voltages in and around the printed circuit board (the thin composite sheet like "board" that contains the (majority) of TV (television) components). The CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) contains the highest of dangerous voltage(s). If one is not aware of these dangerous voltages (a schematic diagram is of the utmost importance) the service technician may be at risk of potential electrocution not to mention damage to electrical (or electronic) testing/analyzing equipment. I STRONGLY ADVISE that YOU be fully familiar with the operation characteristics and voltages of this TV (television) before performing ANY, I repeat ANY electronic repair/service work. You may want to seek (find/locate) a schematic diagram for your particular TV (television) and CAREFULLY study (comprehend) it so that YOU may be FULLY AWARE of these voltages.
I found this earlier post from Norbert, that is quite helpful...
Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I repaired over 100 of these T-815 Magnavox sets when they were younger. Trust me, it's not considered an early solid state set.

The only thing your set has that I didn't see often is the stand-alone audio amplifier.

We've all suggest things to check on it for you, but you only come back and announce that something else is wrong. Replacing a single capacitor won't fix but one thing, friend.

Did you actually go through the chassis and re-flow solder on the chassis ground connections, and check the stakes that the plug-in boards connect to? Bad factory soldering was most of the problems I ever saw on the T-815.

Also, check the plug-in boards for bad soldering especially the board plug connectors.

Use a magnifying glass and a bright light to examine the soldering. You will see crack marks around connections. Use a small soldering iron and some decent thin solder to add a tiny amount of new solder to whats already there.

Be slow and thorough with your work.

THE END.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with you here. The T-815, and 809, were part of the THIRD or so generation of SS sets from Magnavox--the first being the T979 and 989. The T-995, and 991, was probably the 2nd gen.

I ALSO saw a number of bad safety caps on these, vertical problems and triplers too. Along with PLENTY of bad connections !!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, safety caps and triplers. I replaced a capacitor or two on some vertical modules. Our shop was kind of surprised when they stopped coming back for repairs. I know I've seen plenty of them in peoples homes still running and looking good.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sage advice.
Also be damn sure you got the right hoz output ( HOT) in there.
Check PC at hoz drive transformer on the hoz osc board IIRC.
Check for a low ohm resistor going from B-E on HOT out of circuit.
If you changed the 4 lead cap put back the origional unless you KNOW its bad. Orange ones usually OK but white ones suspect.
Some Maggys had plug in flybacks, check the pins, they would burn.
Only think of the fold over, dont be distracted by other problems.
SOLDER SOLDER SOLDER. All Maggy uprights from 13" - 25" had
tons of bad connections. Dont forget the ground tabs from the steel
frame on mother board, they complete some connections.

73 Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I repaired over 100 of these T-815 Magnavox sets when they were younger. Trust me, it's not considered an early solid state set.

The only thing your set has that I didn't see often is the stand-alone audio amplifier.

We've all suggest things to check on it for you, but you only come back and announce that something else is wrong. Replacing a single capacitor won't fix but one thing, friend.

Did you actually go through the chassis and re-flow solder on the chassis ground connections, and check the stakes that the plug-in boards connect to? Bad factory soldering was most of the problems I ever saw on the T-815.

Also, check the plug-in boards for bad soldering especially the board plug connectors.

Use a magnifying glass and a bright light to examine the soldering. You will see crack marks around connections. Use a small soldering iron and some decent thin solder to add a tiny amount of new solder to whats already there.

Be slow and thorough with your work.

THE END.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never did get it absolutely correct.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

mag complete chassis available

what it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (102.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0242.jpg (113.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (101.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (96.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.jpg (110.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberts View Post
I have a t815-02 complete chassis.
If I were you I'd take him up on the offer.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I tried to send you a private message. For some reason it echoed. I am still interested. Just need details.Please just let me know. thank you.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

1981 Magnavox with a problem

I would love to have fixed the tv. It is the only thing i could not fix. i can not find Eberts. I would love to have had the parts. I have the schematic. Wish i could have fixed it before my mother passed as it was her tv. Maybe i can find a repairman. It was a brand new tv when she bougth it. A guy came and cut it out of the box in our living room. Thanks for all your help. Model RA-5054
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello