Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I've got a 27" Sony set that got hit by lightning
Speaking of Sony, saw an article in the paper last week that Sony isn't making a profit on their electronics anymore, and might sell that division off. If Mitsubishi buys them, I hope they don't call the new operation "Son-of-abitchi"... (Running, ducking for cover...)
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
It's because the picture tubes in a rear projection TV require a much more powerful electron beam than on a standard TV from what I understand.

A friend of mine has a horror story about the time they hooked up the 8-bit Nintendo to a Projection Big Screen and got in big trouble with daddy because the Super Mario Bros. scoreboard was permanently etched into the top and totally visible during the Superbowl right after.
I had luck at one point, with inputing a white screen on a rear projection set with very faint burns in the screen from a game. I let it run with the white screen for about 5 hours, and eventually, the burn marks went away. This worked 3 times out of 10 for me. Depended on the maker of the CRT's. and how severe the burns were. I used to hate replacing CRT's on those big sets.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Speaking of Sony, saw an article in the paper last week that Sony isn't making a profit on their electronics anymore, and might sell that division off. If Mitsubishi buys them, I hope they don't call the new operation "Son-of-abitchi"... (Running, ducking for cover...)
I can remember when Sony was the hot-stuff with the trinitron line. It took a few years, but the other manufacturers finally caught up with them.

Sony did the same thing with SDDS digital movie theatre sound systems. They weren't making the monster profits they thought they should, so they dropped the system flat, leaving owners of the SDDS systems to fend for themselves.

Right now, Sony is building the digital theatre systems that is helping to wipe out 35mm film in theatres. The first generation digital projectors are already out of date, and don't like updates. I'm sure Sony will drop them flat, too, one day.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictv80s View Post
NowhereMan 1966:

I'm very sorry to hear that your mother is ill. I hope she gets well soon. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, especially the ones about your 1982 Zenith TV.

We had a Sharp microwave that was purchased new in 1986. It was a great unit, but my mother gave it away to my aunt when she needed a microwave after her old one quit working properly. We bought a new one to replace the Sharp, and a couple of others along the way - all of which have had significant problems. I wish we had held on to that 1986 Sharp.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm also looking for work so money is tight, before that, we were considering an LED TV. Still at least I am with Mom since I have to take her to different doctors but it is rough. At least the Zenith is free, bought and paid for. The Zenith does have a couple of small issues, for about the last 8 years or so, the pic gets a red tint to it but it flickers back, it does it a bit and then for months it is fine so we might have a tricky capacitor in there. Sharp did make some good microwaves back then.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
You gave me my big laugh of the day!
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01
Right now, Sony is building the digital theatre systems that is helping to wipe out 35mm film in theatres.
Yes and i think its sad...... DIGITAL VIDEO/AUDIO does not look as good as analogue does in my opinion...

I will not goto a theater anymore because of this.... (1 reason anyway)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found a theater that uses 70 millimeter film. They thought that they could make us all buy a plastic picture frame and hang it on the wall.Till it fell off anyway. The world has become a very greedy place.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

You guys want to know what I really think?
Digitization of old programme material is bullshit, pure and simple.
1. If it was digital in its original form. then it is fine to display that 'sampled' content in the digital realm.
2. Any content originally recorded in the analogue realm, shall persist in that realm, whether the corporations like it or not.

It is up to the VTR/tape/vidicon camera/CRT guys to maintain a healthy library of " REAL " content.
Same goes for HIFI Audio...
digital will never suffice versus grooved media and magnetic tape.

If I truly appreciated PCM audio and DVD video at first, I would NEVER want to be in the a/v community today.
Thanks,
zenith2134.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I found a theater that uses 70 millimeter film. They thought that they could make us all buy a plastic picture frame and hang it on the wall.Till it fell off anyway. The world has become a very greedy place.
What exactly do you mean?

This thread makes me happy that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I could EASILY have all the major electronics and appliances I'd ever need from the trash and thrift stores. I'd traditionally say except for modern game consoles, but it's come to the point where even those are so disposable that I could find them without too much trouble.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
You guys want to know what I really think?
Digitization of old programme material is bullshit, pure and simple.
1. If it was digital in its original form. then it is fine to display that 'sampled' content in the digital realm.
2. Any content originally recorded in the analogue realm, shall persist in that realm, whether the corporations like it or not.

It is up to the VTR/tape/vidicon camera/CRT guys to maintain a healthy library of " REAL " content.
Same goes for HIFI Audio...
digital will never suffice versus grooved media and magnetic tape.

If I truly appreciated PCM audio and DVD video at first, I would NEVER want to be in the a/v community today.
Thanks,
zenith2134.
Good thing that a lot of us have our "specialties", we can cover more bases that way. I'm glad I'm not what one would call an audiophile because that is one expensive hobby. Best to let those with the necessary means take care of that. In regards to audio, I'm pleased with 8-tracks. Someone has to be.
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have to agree with you I don't know why so many people trashed Good Working CRT Televisions for the Flat Screens? As for tv signals, I live in a rural area and we get real good reception through the use of our converter box. We get stations now that we couldn't get through Analog. The closest station to us is 90 miles. We getsome stations that are over 100 miles away. I didn't buy and expensive antenna either. I bought one for around $38 and put it up on a tv pole. I also installed a rotor and control box and that helps alot with getting the best signals. I won't subscribe to satellite tv as it can become way too expensive. Also, don't watch that much tv anyways. I would love to see the day when CRT Consoles and TableTops come back but I am sure that isn't very likely. My folks always had a Console TV and I plan to keep using one as well. The only difference with theirs and my console is they didn't have to worry about the little converter box to select the channels. By the way, we still have that TV that I grew up with and it still works great. We had to have a new main board(module) put in April of this year, but other than that we had never done anything to it. It did get used alot too as when my sister was living at home she always had the TV on so it seemed!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like 8 tracks too. Also, have to agree with digitization crap. I think it would be nice too if they could have left things they way they were.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

The digital thing, just a bunch of suit dummies wanting more cash.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
I have to agree with you I don't know why so many people trashed Good Working CRT Televisions for the Flat Screens? As for tv signals, I live in a rural area and we get real good reception through the use of our converter box. We get stations now that we couldn't get through Analog. The closest station to us is 90 miles. We getsome stations that are over 100 miles away. I didn't buy and expensive antenna either. I bought one for around $38 and put it up on a tv pole. I also installed a rotor and control box and that helps alot with getting the best signals. I won't subscribe to satellite tv as it can become way too expensive. Also, don't watch that much tv anyways. I would love to see the day when CRT Consoles and TableTops come back but I am sure that isn't very likely. My folks always had a Console TV and I plan to keep using one as well. The only difference with theirs and my console is they didn't have to worry about the little converter box to select the channels. By the way, we still have that TV that I grew up with and it still works great. We had to have a new main board(module) put in April of this year, but other than that we had never done anything to it. It did get used alot too as when my sister was living at home she always had the TV on so it seemed!!!
Today, I was at an estate sale and they tried to give me a mid '90's non-working 32" upright RCA home theatre console (probably a CTC169). The cabinet was in good shape and the instruction book was on top of the TV; but, I turned it down. Had I taken the set, it would have sat here from now on because it seems that no one around wants CRT TV's anymore and they certainly don't want consoles. Currently, I have a 26" RCA console (CTC177) at the local consignment shop and it's been there for two months with no takers. This shop always has a full parking lot; so, it's not because they don't have customers. It's just that people have gotten so snobby about what they'll own and if it's not brand new modern technology; then, they don't want it. Oh, talk about the embarrassment of having the guys come over on Sunday afternoon to watch the game on a 20 year old floor model TV. Most people around here seem to associate console TV's as highly outdated and the only people who still use them are "trailer park trash" and people who live in public housing.

Recently, I advertised a 20" RCA with jacks for $20 and a 27" Magnavox for $30 on a local facebook buy/sell page with zero interest; but, let someone advertise some POS Funai-built flatscreen and people are fighting over it. I'm a rat's behind away from not bringing home anymore TV's, unless it's something for me. I'm to the point where I'm tired of dragging this crap home, fixing it, and having it sit here from now on because everyone has turned into a snob. Used to, I could sell any kind of working TV I got my hands on because people didn't care - they just wanted something with picture and sound.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Recently, I advertised a 20" RCA with jacks for $20 and a 27" Magnavox for $30 on a local facebook buy/sell page with zero interest; but, let someone advertise some POS Funai-built flatscreen and people are fighting over it. I'm a rat's behind away from not bringing home anymore TV's, unless it's something for me. I'm to the point where I'm tired of dragging this crap home, fixing it, and having it sit here from now on because everyone has turned into a snob. Used to, I could sell any kind of working TV I got my hands on because people didn't care - they just wanted something with picture and sound.
Someone's playing hardball with me over a 1988 20" XL-100. It's not in reach of the bus system and the person won't bring it to me even though I offered extra for that. He said it's been for sale for a while and will sit until it's sold. Good luck to that money-loving bastard. Also, I asked him if it were possible to get someone else to bring it into the city while on their way, to which he agreed to try, but decided not to and didn't tell me until I asked about it again. Seems that he was hoping to get that extra cash for "whenever he comes into the city". I told him straight up that he only gets the extra if he makes a special trip. Haven't heard from him since. I made an offer that many here would consider ludicrously generous. The more money these sub-humans get, the more they want.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Audiokarma