Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:15 AM
DBerning

CPM computer

I have a working CPM type computer, Heathkit circa 1982 with Anderson-Jacobson floor-standing printer that has its own full keyboard and is daisy-wheel type. I would like to give this stuff away to anyone who would like to come and get it. I am in the Wash DC area. I do not want to ship it. This will be a valuable antique.....someday.

Dave
Old 07-11-2002, 08:36 AM
AK Member

Brings back memories, I assembled a Heathkit H-89 computer. I didn't spring for the CPM O/S but rather the standard Hdos O/S that they bundled with it. Lost the computer when my house was robbed while on vacation, but the insurance claim payed and I replaced it with a Kaypro 10. the Kaypro had a 10meg hard drive and CPM O/S, what a tank of a computer. It had a handle, so they called it a portable but damn it weighed like 40 lbs....

I wonder if collecting vintage micropomputers will ever be as popular as collecting vintage Hi-Fi gear? Probably not but a few will I'm sure.

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Old 07-11-2002, 08:56 AM
THOR

"10 meg HD"

wow have times changed, now you wouldn't even be able to get your OS running with only 10 megs of RAM.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Banned

Dave,

I remember some of those ancient computers. Back in '86 I used a pair of Hardy 8080 based CPM computers at the Hay River Radio Observatory to crunch the output of the SETI spectrometer in real time and record the data to wide carriage printer, a huge floor model. It took almost a half hour with the one 8" floppy drive and a whopping 64K of RAM to copy a floppy, swapping disks in the one drive many times to copy one disc, a chunk at a time.

I also had a DEC PDP11-04. The front was a long row of addressing toggle switches and inside a circuit board containing what seemed like a zillion tiny washers, a true core memory. I wish I still had that today as a conversation piece.

I gave the Hardy machines to a computer museum a few years ago and if I can find the fellow's name I'll let you know. I saw the curator as recently as a year ago at the Rochester Hamfest in NY State.

As for other's comments. I don't think collecting vintage computers will ever take off widely as a hobby obsession like sound equipment, vintage radios or television receivers. In these examples the devices are associated with pleasant memories and a true sense of nostalgia of a simpler time in our history. The bonus is that many (moreso the radios and TV's unless you havbe a JBL Paragon), are cool retro furniture and therefore have a practical use in the home.

These old computers continue to be a good source for hobbyist parts as the hardware was great, especially the old floor standing hard drives, but they IMO are still just things to strip for parts mostly. A chosen few are bitten with the urge to save these 'treasures' from the scrap man and as a result there are a few private museums now, but definitely not a passion for the masses.

Rob
Old 07-01-2003, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, unfotunately I doubt they will ever be collectibles. I have a fully functional SUN 3/60 with 20" color monotor and the SCSI tower with tape and hard drive. If there is a museum that wants it all they have to do is come and get it. It took two of us old folks to carry that monitor down the basement stairs.

Rob
Audiokarma