Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 PM
M is for Memory

Entering the final stretch. The final coat of paint is on... except for 2 spots where tree debris landed on the wet pant that I'll set sand at 600 and touch up.
Once those spots have curred I'm going to hand rub the whole thing with turtle wax polishing compound (possibly clay too if needed) to even the sheen at transitions between original and new paint. Then a coat of wax.
I also need to install the opera window and back window trim (instead of just setting it on to see how it looks). I plan to reinstall the roof trim too but I need to source new clips for it first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200616_203922986.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200616_203910568.jpg (82.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200616_204035001.jpg (91.0 KB, 20 views)

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-17-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I honestly thought it would look odd without the fabric top, but it looks just fine. Nice job, Tom.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good

It'll look even better with that chrome trim back on. I had a 72 Impala that was just one solid color (green), and I added that trim that goes around the back of the roof (I pulled it from a car at the junkyard that had the vinyl roof) and I really liked the way it looked with the addition of the trim even though my car didn't have the vinyl top.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:29 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Looking good

It'll look even better with that chrome trim back on. I had a 72 Impala that was just one solid color (green), and I added that trim that goes around the back of the roof (I pulled it from a car at the junkyard that had the vinyl roof) and I really liked the way it looked with the addition of the trim even though my car didn't have the vinyl top.
Thanks guys!

I've got the all the window trim on (though due to the bottom rear window clips rusting away each piece of bottom rear trim is only held on by 2 (should be ~5) clips on each end.

I plan to figure out the roof trim in mid July. There was only one push on clip left on the small section below the opera window on one side (the rest of those have been orange dust for a long time). The band that wraps over the roof and the sections below the back window were secured mostly by these rivveted on parts that look like a histeriesis graph with a wire sticking out...some were badly rusted and most would interfere with needed body filler work so I ground them off...I need to source some new ones and figure out how best to fit them to the 1/4" holes the old rivets occupied. Also about 2/3 of the width of the roof trim was painted, but some of it chipped off... I'm going to have to respray that.

Last night I finished the rubbing and polishing treatment and took it to a car wash. There are a couple spots of overspray mist adheared dust I think I need t rub out a bit more, and I'm hoping to wax the polished areas in the next week but I may not have time.

Once I have it looking good I plan to shift focus to making it run good.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4