Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM
johnny the raster master!

1950 arvin!

i just got a 1950 arvin console tv has half a weak picture any clues on whats wrong with it, also it has a louder than usual flyback squeal its a nice set to
will post pictures next week

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Radiotron, you are describing one of the most common problems in old sets. If you don't have a clue what it is, I would suggest reading up on theory and repair. One suggestion is to read some articles on Phil Nelson's website, philsoldradios. Especially the ones on recapping.

Of all the sets I've had recently, only one has worked OK without changing capacitors. You can't just keep plugging these things in and expect that they will work OK. Or check old caps with an ohmmeter and think they are good. Even if it does work, it usually won't for long and you will end up frying flys or other expensive parts. The noise you are hearing is your flyback screaming for mercy. Back in the day, there were TV/Radio repair shops everywhere because these things broke down. Especially if they have been sitting for 40 or 50 years. The first step in learning how to repair them is to learn to change capacitors.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
Radiotron, you are describing one of the most common problems in old sets. If you don't have a clue what it is, I would suggest reading up on theory and repair. One suggestion is to read some articles on Phil Nelson's website, philsoldradios. Especially the ones on recapping.

Of all the sets I've had recently, only one has worked OK without changing capacitors. You can't just keep plugging these things in and expect that they will work OK. Or check old caps with an ohmmeter and think they are good. Even if it does work, it usually won't for long and you will end up frying flys or other expensive parts. The noise you are hearing is your flyback screaming for mercy. Back in the day, there were TV/Radio repair shops everywhere because these things broke down. Especially if they have been sitting for 40 or 50 years. The first step in learning how to repair them is to learn to change capacitors.
ive had a lot that i got working without replcing caps

Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you own a fire extinguisher? It is likely that you will need one soon if you keep doing what you are doing, It is also possible that you could be seriously injured... LEARN first, then play!

jr
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a Magnavox with a new CRT and an unrestored chassis that works. I sure won't leave it running and walk away from it. I cant trust it because of the old capacitors.

Capacitors get leaky, and electrolytics dry out and short.
Audiokarma
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotron View Post
ive had a lot that i got working without replcing caps
Wow, I'm impressed. Capacitors in old sets where never designed to last that long. Sets were not designed to last much longer than a decade at most. Electroylic and paper caps dry out. It's a fact. Sometimes one only a few years old is bad.

You have people in this, and other posts, telling you the exact same thing but it's not sinking in. You are risking a lot by not taking the advice you are being given. People have been hurt or killed by doing what you are doing. Take the time to understand what you are doing instead of just "pokin and hopin". The day will come when you will regret it if you don't.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-22-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
console lover

I think this is how a certain nice, restorable Crosley ended up being parted out: because it didn't work (and perhaps smoked a little) when it was plugged in. Radiotron--that's what we expect them to do. Some sets may try to work, even surprisingly well, but every sensible collector expects to replace parts before using a set as a daily driver. If the danger to life and property can't be impressed upon you, how about the fact that you are not getting the best possible performance out of unrestored sets...as your signature pic proves....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. Capacitors in old sets where never designed to last that long. Sets were not designed to last much longer than a decade at most. Electroylic and paper caps dry out. It's a fact. Sometimes one only a few years old is bad.

You have people in this, and other posts, telling you the exact same thing but it's not sinking in. You are risking a lot by not taking the advice you are being given. People have been hurt or killed by doing what you are doing. Take the time to understand what you are doing instead of just "pokin and hopin". The day will come when you will regret it if you don't.
well first you dont just turn it straight on you turn it on and off slowly, slower than slower(to bring the caps a little life at a time) then all the way on if theres a humm bad caps if not replace tubes if it comes on (its hapened to me before)
play them!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Do you own a fire extinguisher? It is likely that you will need one soon if you keep doing what you are doing, It is also possible that you could be seriously injured... LEARN first, then play!

jr
ive learned, i know what im doing like dont touch tubes with caps on top put your hand in the flyback etc. tvtimeisfun tought me, he does this to, he fired up a color that wasnt pluged in over 50 years, it only had a bad hv tube!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I've got a Magnavox with a new CRT and an unrestored chassis that works. I sure won't leave it running and walk away from it. I cant trust it because of the old capacitors.

Capacitors get leaky, and electrolytics dry out and short.
i wont leave them alone while their playing either

Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
I think this is how a certain nice, restorable Crosley ended up being parted out: because it didn't work (and perhaps smoked a little) when it was plugged in. Radiotron--that's what we expect them to do. Some sets may try to work, even surprisingly well, but every sensible collector expects to replace parts before using a set as a daily driver. If the danger to life and property can't be impressed upon you, how about the fact that you are not getting the best possible performance out of unrestored sets...as your signature pic proves....
that crosley wasnt junked out, im waiting untill someone wants it

Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well young man, you know it all so don't expect too much help when you have a question. If you think that replacing tubes is all you need to do then you are in for a big surprise. If you think that turning the set on and off will reform every capacitor, then you know something I don't. Some capacitors will reform termporarily or sometimes for quite a while but the chances that they will stay that way are slim. Every television set you own has bad capacitors. It's just a question of how many, probably all of them. We haven't even gotten to resistor problems yet. You don't listen and we have better things to do than beat our heads against the wall. You are blowing a 5U4 in your other set and you don't know why!! "I turned it on and off a bunch of times so I know the filter capacitors are good". I just can't believe it. Maybe there is a forum with other teenagers that like old TV's. Then you guys can compare notes since we don't know anything. You can have a contest to see how many old sets you can blow up. The winner (actually the loser) gets to keep all the now junk sets. Don't pay much for your sets. They are not going to last very long.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Learning as I go

Have you ever actually fully recapped a set and checked the resistors and then used the set? I'm only 14 and I know to do that... And I may not know everything but I am willing to admit when I am wrong and have made a mistake.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

excellent!!

We need young people in this hobby to carry on the tradition and keep these things alive. But there is a difference between repairing/restoring and just playing as this young man just pointed out.

I retract my comment above. There are knowlegable young folks here.

My advice to Radiotron at this point is, spend a few bucks and get a fire extingusher and make sure your parents have your health insurance up to date.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

In my youth, I aquired so many old 1930's-40's radios... from family and friends cleaning out their basements... Had no idea that old capacitors went bad. Ran the radios until something either spewed or burned. Ripped them apart, and went to the next one. Sickening today, just thinking about it.

After 30 years of solid-state repair work, I dont trust anything old, especially capacitors.

Bringing them up slowly means on a variac, not full power for a moment then turn off for awhile, then back on for a moment.

I'm restoring a DuMont TV built in 1950. My avatar pic. It's got all new electrolytic capacitors already, and the wax capacitors are coming soon.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread