Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith VRF510HF issues

Hey everyone so I picked up a pretty mint JVC built Zenith VRF510HF VCR that came in the original box however upon testing it I found that rewind nor backward search works and it eats the tape upon ejecting however fast forward works good and although it plays fairly well mechanically speaking the tracking is trash leading me to believe its out of alignment. I took top and bottom covers off belt looks and feels good and manually rotating the idler clutch from below I noticed that the gear in between the reels doesn't pivot to its respective reel based on the direction I rotate from underneath hence the possible reason as to why it doesn't rewind and eats tape. I know these JVC units are known for throwing parts but the clutch is still attached or so it seems. Any ideas welcome since I actually like this unit! Oh and by the way I located a service manual for it so that SHOULD also help.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2023, 05:42 PM
blast, blast...

I worked on a couple dozen of those in the mid to late 90's.

The predominate failure in this model was P2 and P3 tape guides (the guides that draw the tape around the video head). Often the little brass pin underneath at least one of the guides had fallen out and was either laying in the bottom of the VCR, or missing all together (speaking of "throwing parts"). In the early days I used to replace the both of them (p/n Zenith: 843-635 and 843-636, our cost was around $15 for each of them), in later days I used to 2-part epoxy them back together and they always held.

In only one unit I noted that the take-up was weak before eject, which turned out to be a bad clutch (don't have the part number).

And on half of them either the mode switch (p/n JVC: PU60622-1-2 or Zenith: 885-1059-01) was flaky or I just decided to replace it based on history of them failing.

Good luck with yours!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I worked on a couple dozen of those in the mid to late 90's.

The predominate failure in this model was P2 and P3 tape guides (the guides that draw the tape around the video head). Often the little brass pin underneath at least one of the guides had fallen out and was either laying in the bottom of the VCR, or missing all together (speaking of "throwing parts"). In the early days I used to replace the both of them (p/n Zenith: 843-635 and 843-636, our cost was around $15 for each of them), in later days I used to 2-part epoxy them back together and they always held.

In only one unit I noted that the take-up was weak before eject, which turned out to be a bad clutch (don't have the part number).

And on half of them either the mode switch (p/n JVC: PU60622-1-2 or Zenith: 885-1059-01) was flaky or I just decided to replace it based on history of them failing.

Good luck with yours!
where is the mode switch located at in these?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:09 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi_nicoya7 View Post
where is the mode switch located at in these?
Sorry, can't remember. It's been too long- almost 30 years! This was a 1989 unit made for the 1990 model year.

If you post a photo of both the top, and the bottom of the deck I might be able to point it out to you.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Sorry, can't remember. It's been too long- almost 30 years! This was a 1989 unit made for the 1990 model year.

If you post a photo of both the top, and the bottom of the deck I might be able to point it out to you.
no problem I'll pop off the covers this weekend and shoot some pics
Audiokarma