Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:49 PM
M is for Memory

There were HD-CRT projectors that could work with screens of varying size...ISTR hearing about UHD models.

I watch all my HD content on a Sony native 1080i HDMI equipped HD-CRT set... there's NO difference in picture quality watching 1080 content between it and a 1080 LCD except that the LCD looks worse most of the time and approximately equal the rest.

Anything bigger than 40" is pointless unless you have several dozen people and a stupidly large room. Most people watch stuff alone or in groups under 6. If you're sitting so close you have to pan your eyes to see things in other parts of the screen your sitting WAY to close.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-21-2024, 04:21 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

HDTV was designed to be viewed at about 3.5 times picture height, confirmed by viewing tests with untrained subjects. Farther away you lose some benefit of the resolution, closer there is no more detail to be gained.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I have a Sony KD-34XBR960 which displays nice HD images. It is no match to my 2018 LG OLED with 4K, HDR, DOLBY VISION/ATMOS capability.

A small apartment has a 12 foot wide wall, plenty of room to add a projector screen or large flat screen OLED panel less than an inch thick. I would argue that a CRT television takes up more room, especially a KD-34XBR960.

You want eye panning in your home to get the immersive feel you get when watching a movie in a commercial theater. That what a home theater is all about.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:19 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you're sitting so close you have to pan your eyes to see things in other parts of the screen your sitting WAY to close.
Not true at all! It is called an "immersive experience", ideally with more activity on the screen than you can take in at one physical position.

I sit about 84 inches from a 77-inch-diagonal display, and I used to have a 92-inch screen and projector viewed at the same distance. The 77 is a reasonable compromise between practicality and ideal viewing size/angle in my home.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-24-2024, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

FYI: DigiBeta presentation.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2024, 07:09 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
HDTV was designed to be viewed at about 3.5 times picture height, confirmed by viewing tests with untrained subjects. Farther away you lose some benefit of the resolution, closer there is no more detail to be gained.
Somehow I had missed your post on my previous visit. This makes perfect sense. I expect that they were referring to full 1920x1080 HDTV rather than the mid-level 720p (1280x720) used by Fox, ABC, and some others.

Based on that, of course, then UHD/4K, with twice the resolution in both directions relative to 1920x1080 HDTV, will be ideal at 1.75 times the picture height, assuming that everything works in a linear way. I am probably sitting about two times the picture height away from my 77-inch-diagonal screen, so that is pretty close to ideal I think. And, yes, I can easily see the difference among 4K, 1080i/p, and 720p at this position.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."