Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charokeeroad View Post
Since it had already been turned on yesterday with no ill effects I turned it on again this morning and here are some screen shots.
Looks like you're off to a real good start!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hard to believe it works so well already-great score!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Joe actually pretty easy to believe, I have had several zeniths, most work with no or only very minor work. They were very very well made. Most of my zeniths have all the orig caps. They are a bit harder to work on since the point to point id done with those solder cups which can be bit of a problem getting the parts out and in again (I prefer PCB's) but at least there is no heat damage to worry about. Also the flyback seem stouter than most.

I have had the video out cathode bypass cap (contrast) go open on some, and now and then the AGC has a little black and red electro that will go open, but for the most part I think its best to leave them be and fix when something goes wrong.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM
John Q

The picture on this set just keeps getting better as it comes back to life. I ran it a couple hours last night and the color just keeps improving. I can't get into any repairs this week but next week I should have some time to do it.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
John Q

Two more screen shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (46.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (51.7 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by charokeeroad; 02-26-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

wow, that is looking good. The only thing you may want to check is the AGC setting and confirm if the contrast control is working well. the AGC will help with contrast some. If the contrast control does little then its prob that cap I mentioned, but frankly it looks fine to me as is.

Kinda too easy eh

Oh and for fun when you get the HV probe double check the voltage, but I think you will find it all works just fine as is.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine is just like that only no UHF and it has a metal cabinet. It actually produced a BEAUTIFUL picture when I brought it home out of over 20 years dormancy. After some play time the color went black and white and I haven't touched it since. A good fellow here sent me a crystal that supposedly is known to go out and cause this. I know there are many other things that could cause it, but I hope the common issue is the one because I sure would like to see that beautiful picture again.

I have often thought it amazing the color quality that some of the early color sets produce. Mine also had what looked like some horizontal distortion on the far left side of the picture. I know that it really is screaming for caps and it would be worth it to do. I've never redone a color set and I am a bit skittish as there are so many things that must be adjusted or aligned; more so than the old black and whites sets. I don't have any of the alignment equipment and all of our TV shops are gone, so if I do the job, I will hopefully not have to mess with the convergence board and such and stick with the lytics and the paper caps in the horizontal and high voltage areas to begin with at least. Supposedly the HV and horizontal are the circuits to watch out for.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
John Q

Talking about alignment, I watched a video today that made it look easy but I'm sure a service manual would help a lot. I think the manual would take you step by set through the process. Right now I'm getting some tubes that I need for the set that will hopefully improve the sound quality. I don't think I'll be replaceing any caps unless they just call for it. Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8eK2CyDmiY