Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

While working at Sears, long long ago, I was servicing a Wells Gardner monster 25" console hybrid with stereo and turntable. Problem was, TV could be playing, with great color, and if you turned up the volume, the color would unlock for a moment, then lock again. I was the 5th tech to have a look at it, and the customer was getting huffy, and threatening to call Chicago, etc, etc. I asked her to sit down and watch me troubleshoot. I had her tell me everytime it lost color, which she did, with gusto. I was poking around with a wood dowel, and almost everywhere I bumped the color PCB would make it lose lock. A previous "tech" had already hard-soldered the board connector pins, so it wasn't a bad connection there. Another tech had replaced the crystal, but I noticed the crystal was touching the chassis. If I flexed the chassis, the color would bounce out and back.

I resoldered the crystal and drastically shortened its connecting wires. I couldn't get the color to unlock after this. I have often wondered if the vibration of the crystal wires, or the fact that it was vibrating against the chassis caused it to lose sync.

I sat there while the customer cranked her system up to earsplitting volume over and over, until she was satisfied that I had fixed the problem.

I got fussed at by our Tech Services Dept. because I spent almost 2 hours on this set instead of the 45 minutes I was alloted. Didnt matter that I managed to complete the call on the first attempt!!

I was requested by the customer to return when we did the annual maintenance check per her maintenance agreements. I never had to do anything to the set again other than maybe touching up the screen controls, and replacing a weak video output tube, twice.

I know the store repair department sure didnt want to get this set back. It weighed over 200 pounds, and was, like I said, HUGE!!

Aahhh, memories...

Last edited by holmesuser01; 10-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM
sampson159

i had that same set!it was a penncrest combo made by wells gardner.rauland crt and it had the best sounding stereo!rocked the block.tv had a fine picture and we used for 3-4 years.never a problem.i sold it to a friend who still has it.the crt has a green halo but it still works.a little dim but the radio is crystal clear.heavy as hell but really a good piece.this might be the exception.saw other wgs that were dogs
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

If they are so great why don't they know what is wrong with my set? Arrogance is easily replaced with answers.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
If they are so great why don't they know what is wrong with my set? Arrogance is easily replaced with answers.
Post the schematic for your color circuit and we will point out the actual items to try replacing. Just scan the color section of the factory or Sams schematic, edit if necessary, and paste I assume this is a solid-state TV?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
60s Throwback

Is anyone else here getting more than a little annoyed with Firebird's attitude? I've been on here a short time myself, and I'll admit that I probably know less than most, but I also found out that if you ask POLITELY, you'll alwas get an answer.
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM
M is for Memory

I'm sure that those on here experienced with solid state equipment are knowledgeable on common issues regarding most specific sets, but without a schematic, and if the person who actually has the set does not want to help trouble shoot the set with test equip, then short of the owner bringing the set to someone who will do the trouble shooting, all the help you get will likely be WA Guesses at best.

...We are not phsyc..psyc..Telepaths, and we can't troubleshoot a set without having the actual set in front of us, or having the owner act as our eyes, ears, and hands.

I'm not trying to sound mean....I'm just stating the facts.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
sampson159

firebird is just a little annoyed with the lack of response.post some screen shots and these techs will point you in the right direction.ask and you will receive.demand and you will wait forever!just kidding.relax,we will help you
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

What sams
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

???
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm....

'Sams' is a series of manuals devoted to the TV servicing industry They contain service info and schematic diagrams of most/all North American model TV sets.--Even I know that, and Ive never seen one--living in the UK, we have the 'Newns' manuals and 'Trader' sheets which are a loose equivalent.

Here you go, Look up your set--

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact/search/types

You'll need to find the schematic of Your Actual set in this series of manuals or from its makers/other sources, and copy the chroma/sound/IF stages, parts of it here so a diagnosis can be made. You'll need to include as much info as you can,--things you've done, voltages checked, parts changed etc.....

Otherwise its like saying--My car wont go. --Why?--Not trying to be clever, but fault-finding is a detailed process, needing as much info as possible....

Last edited by Alastair E; 02-26-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox

[QUOTE=Firebird;3049977]I have been having the same problem with my 1981 Magnavox T815 and everyone ignores me when i ask a question. Been asking for months.[/QUOTE

If it is a modular set, start by changing modules...keep a saved watch for MAGNAVOX MODULE on ebay.

Duane