Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

what next

I have a CTC 5 blonde table top (faux fin on some kind of wood product) and a metal cab CTC-7 faux finish blonde table top.

Since I just got done with a 5 I am tempted to take on the 7 just for something different. The 7 is in very ruff shape. lots of rust on the cab some on the chassis. I am thinking get the chassis going and then if all good maybe just get a sanding disk and go to town on the metal, and then repaint some kind of hammertone grey, or try one of those faux wood finish kits I see for metal house doors (sounds tacky I know).

comments are welcome as I have not made up my mind.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the 7, I really like the mask on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (58.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (32.0 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by DaveWM; 02-20-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Go for the 7! Mine worked beautifully after only a basic recap. Some day I'll go back and do a complete setup (convergence, etc.) but the picture looks so good that I'm not very motivated.

Did that "tabletop" come with spindly wooden screw-on legs like my CTC-11, or was is truly intended only for tabletop use?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 02-20-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

It has the place for the legs but did not have them when I got it. also does not have a back, so I will end up making one (from perf metal).
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Maybe you could use naval-jelly like Admiral Bob.. But, of course you'll have to check and see if it only works on Admirals..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I vote for the 7, too. I have the same model (the Abington) in faux mahogany. It's also missing the back. When you come to fabricating one for yours, I'd like to compare notes.

Mine also came with no legs and I didn't think that it had the threaded holes to accept them, but if yours does mine probably does too. I'll have to check.

Good luck,

Clark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc. Dec. 2012 052.jpg (94.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by IsthmusTV; 02-21-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

wow that is a nice looking 7 you have there Clark.

The CYP22 it came with had an open red Filament (which is when I put it on the back burner). I have an extra CRT for it, just not a dual anode CYP.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
wow that is a nice looking 7 you have there Clark.
Thanks! I should have mentioned that I got it working thanks to you, Phil and several other helpful folks here on VK. You spotted that I had installed a wrong value cap on the horizontal board. It's my one and only roundie

Too bad about the open red filament on the CYP. I'm glad that you have a spare CRT.

-Clark
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

If you fix up the CTC-7's cabinet nicely and try your spare CRT in it, that may encourage you to work on the CTC-7 chassis and end up with a nice, complete working set. I am trying the same process with a beat-up "boat anchor" Hallicrafters shortwave receiver right now. Restore the cabinet and chassis cosmetics first, then I will definitely want to do the circuitry!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I double checked the 7 cabinet there is NO mounts for legs, my bad, it does have some rubber feet around the perimeter.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

hmmm a quick look at the top of the chassis shows mostly dipped maroon caps, nice, I think pull the output tubes and do a variac check.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the top hats (mounted on top of the chassis) has corroded off its lead. Will have to dig thru my stash for a power diode before doing anything.

there is also some old looking device that it bolted to the side of the chassis (inside) it looks like some kind of mechanical breaker but I cant see a reset will have to look a bit closer to see what it does. it does connect to the power switch.

going to take a look at the schematic and see if I can figure it out.

some of the pots on the side are nice and crunchy, yuck.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
there is also some old looking device that it bolted to the side of the chassis (inside) it looks like some kind of mechanical breaker but I cant see a reset will have to look a bit closer to see what it does. it does connect to the power switch.
Hi Dave,

That's a time delay relay. It puts resistance in series with the AC input for about 20 seconds to control the inrush. Then you hear a "click" and full voltage is applied. I believe it's some kind of bi-metal deal like in a toaster.

-Clark
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

well got started on it, a little, I am not one to bother with how it looks on the inside, but for some reason I feel like breaking with that on this one.

So I started by pulling the very rusted tube shields, they are soaking in CLR. will get some NJ and try that on the rusted fly cage (the fly looks EXCELLENT).

Last edited by DaveWM; 02-27-2013 at 11:51 PM.