Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Behind in Time

CTC 7AA help

Hey everyone,
As I advance the brightness control on my CTC 7AA a point is reached where the picture will intermittently roll accompanied by breakup of the picture and audio noise. Continuing toward a higher setting causes the vertical to roll even more and picture breakup to worsen until the horizontal frequency goes off, the picture blooms a little and the HV drops slightly from 22KV. The picture breakup looks like arc interference but I’ve found nothing. No burn smell anywhere. No corona discharge or arc is visible in the HV compartment even in a darkened room.

The set was fully re-capped 3 years ago and an NOS flyback installed with no real issues since then. I’ve tested and substituted the HO, damper, HV rectifier and regulator tubes with no change. I’ve also replaced the regulator plate lead and checked the HV lead, replaced the 56K HV filter resistor and the 2 MFD capacitor on the video amplifier board for good measure since vertical problems can be caused by that capacitor.

Normal operation is had in every respect except for this issue which suddenly appeared with no warning. Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try a new audio out tube.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Good suggestion Dave, the 7 among other chassis used the audio output as part of the LV power supply. It effectively 'split' the voltage from B+, giving around 135vdc from it's cathode to power the sync circuits. Also check any caps and resistors for drifting in the line coming from the cathode of the audio out tube, they will affect sync. If that's not it, I suppose it could be some issue with boosted B+ since vert is powered from that.