Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Rockin' Kats

So I got a Sony

Hi,

I don't post here, much... but then I don't do much buying of audio equipment either..

Yesterday though I was off at a local goodwill looking for videogames when I found a radio that stood out from all of the other misc. stuff in the electronics section. I took it and plugged it in... turned it on.. got it tuned to a station and messed with the other controls.. it sounded really nice so I took it up and bought it along with my miscelaniouse video games and went home...

I just thought I'd show it off. I'm happy.

Anyway, it's a Sony TFM-9450W... I didn't have to clean it off at all when I got it home.. it was already really clean....rather unusual for something I just bought from a thrift store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-027F.jpg (110.1 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Rockin' Kat; 05-19-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
On Land

That's pretty clean! By the size of it, I'd guess it probably puts out a full-bodied sound for a table radio. Looks like it was made back when Sony was still a high-priced item.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:15 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
That's pretty clean! By the size of it, I'd guess it probably puts out a full-bodied sound for a table radio. Looks like it was made back when Sony was still a high-priced item.
I agree. My barber has a Sony radio just like that one in his shop. The last time he had it on (some years ago), it sounded great, IIRC; but then again, I'd expect it to, from the size of the cabinet and speaker. (I would hold on to that radio if I were you, as they don't make them like that anymore.) I don't recall offhand when that Sony was manufactured, but as a stab-in-the-dark guess I'd say perhaps late '60s-early seventies. Should serve you well for many years.

Your comment that your Sony sounded great and needed no cleanup reminds me of the day I received my Zenith K-731 AM/FM seven-tube table radio in the mail two years ago or so after winning an ebay auction for it. It came from Miami (I live 35 miles from Cleveland), 1200 miles or so, and had not even so much as one scratch on the walnut cabinet, only a couple of almost invisible blemishes near the speakers. When I plugged it in and turned it on, it took about 30 seconds to warm up and played beautifully after that. I didn't have to do a thing to it. Clean as a whistle, inside and out, and it sounds like a console as well. I still have the Zenith to this day (along with a C845 and four others) and it still works as well as the day I received it. These older radios were great in their day and still are; much better, IMHO, than most small transistor portables in stores today.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
On Land

A few days ago, I found a little Sony clock radio in the shape of a cube. It was at a yard sale near my cabin in the woods. The retro digital clock featured the mechanical flaps that fall down to make up the numbers. Definately a 70's characteristic! It, too, was clean, but I passed it up. I've got too much little stuff as it is.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:10 PM
markdi

my first radio was a sony icf5500w

am fm psb

1 hour timer

pop up antenna

base treble and a loudness contour switch

built in earphone storage compartment

scrolling tape tuning dial - with dial light

nice radio I wish I still had mine
Audiokarma
Old 05-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Rockin' Kats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
A few days ago, I found a little Sony clock radio in the shape of a cube. It was at a yard sale near my cabin in the woods. The retro digital clock featured the mechanical flaps that fall down to make up the numbers. Definately a 70's characteristic! It, too, was clean, but I passed it up. I've got too much little stuff as it is.
I like alarm clocks with mechanical digital displays like that, they're not as jarring to look at in the middle of the night as some LED digital alarm clock. I have one made by General Electric.

I had been wanting one for a while(a few years), but I kept finding clock after clock that just didn't work when I plugged them in at the thrift store. So when I found one that did I bought it. I just wish the switch wasn't so hard to use, it sticks and makes it a two handed job... one to hold the radio, and the second to force the switch to slide... that and one with a snooze function would have been nice... I know there were some like that.. I just never found one that worked.