Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:21 AM
daveyboy

Grundig Satellit Transistor 6001

Hi gents, I've just purchased a Grundig Satellit 6001 (210) radio, and apart from a couple of minor mechanical problems which I fixed, it works fine. However, I noticed that the tuning strength meter doesn't work on AM or SW - only FM. Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

I'm not very technically minded and have no service information on this radio, but I've had the chassis out of the case a couple of times (in itself no mean feat!) so I'm willing to have a go if some one can help. Incidentally, can someone tell me the purpose of the switch on top of the set that takes the tweeter out of circuit - I can't for the life of me figure out the reason.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the meter swing when you check the batteries? If not, you probably have an open coil in the meter. probably not though. I fixed one of those about 2 years ago and experienced a problem with the meter not working well on AM but OK on FM. If I remember correct, there is a pot soldered onto the power supply board, if you tweek it, you will get the meter to go. If you pull the chassis out, trace the wires I think they will lead you to a sensitivity pot someplace. Thats how I found it on the one I fixed.

Its a PITA to work on. Very delicate receiver. Im surprised the yellow cogged dial drum belt wasnt broken. Seems like they always break along with all the dial lamps.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:23 PM
daveyboy

Thanks for your reply - yes, the meter does swing on battery check and also works on FM. I'll pull the chassis out (for the umpteenth time) and try to trace the wires you mention - I take it you mean the wires from the meter?

By the way, I read your post from a couple of years back in which you mentioned that the meter didn't work on AM/SW, and that the problem was traced to a faulty resistor.

I agree with your comments about them being a PITA to work on - very complicated piece of kit, but the excellent sound quality makes it worth the effort. Incidentally, the yellow drum belt is okay, as are the dial lamps - at the moment!