Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

1968 Motorola works in a drawer

Just picked this up today, picture tube tested weak at first but after about ten minutes came up good on all three colours and even decent tracking. Worth a restore? It does make a raster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd say so yes, and it probably doesn't need much.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like how the chassis is similar in form factor to a desktop PC. The 25ZP22 has quite a cateract, something needs to be done about it. I am a bit gun shy about the process, but have read all the tutorials and watched all the YouTube videos. Am thinking the guitar string method is the way to go.

The chassis being solid state, and so old, really makes it seem like it would have been progressive and modern when released. Mind blowing how much progress was made in the 22 years separating the 630 RCA, and this all silicon all transistor chassis.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

This tv is coming together, cabinet refinished, cataract fixed on tube.. Just put in a huge Order for capacitors at mouser, all 105 degree nichicon. Also SAMS says the CRT crosses to a 25XP22 RCA, which is awesome because the one in my CTC38 tests as new.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 PM
sampson159

my dad said these sets were a marvel of electronic design and manufacturing back then.its just that the crts were pretty bad.please post pictures for all of us to see
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right now it's in a million pieces, the cabinet is at my folks place, chassis and tube here. I had attempted to refinish and was unhappy with the result, so took it to my Dad. He really woke it up, he's got a lot more finesse than I do when it comes to wood finishing. Once I get it all back together I will post photos, and no doubt some technical questions too.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Old TVs are better!

Those Quasars, all solid state 1968 works in a drawer were quite advanced for it's time. Good idea, but there were a lot of problems with those small orange electrolytic's, and of course the contacts to the boards were always getting loose and dirty causing problems. Our neighbor next door had one of those and had it as their main TV for many years, and of course I repaired it several times. I think I changed out a couple of boards with rebuilt's, and I remember changing out small electrolytic's as well. Always had a good picture, but a few years before they gave up on it, the CRT was getting on the dull side. They bought an RCA console, (not sure what model, maybe something like a CTC168-CTC1##), which is still in use, on cable with a DVR, in which our neighbor still records her soaps and watches them on the console CRT RCA. Unfortunately the Quasar got junked, without me knowing about it years ago. Wish I could have got a hold of it back then. I remember it had a solid state HV rectifier in place of a 3A3, which never did go out.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm that's all very encouraging info. I am doing a bulk replacement of all the electrolytic capacitors. I have repaired a fair bit of audio equipment from the mid sixties and the small low voltage capacitors are often bad. When I got the tv I plugged it in and got a raster, so I am reasonably confident the fly back and deflection yoke are okay. My picture tube did come up to testing good after about ten minutes. If it ends up being bad I have an RCA tube I can put in, but considering all the work to remove the cataract I have high hopes for the Motorola tube!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

These are great sets.My parents had a 19 inch Quasar from the early 1970's that the pix was so superb that made the other sets look bad.The only issues with these sets were the plug in circuit board connections gets loose and we had to whack the side of the set like Fonz did with the juke box on Happy Days to get it going.We had the set in the shop a few times and me fixing it in its almost 20 years of use. Mostly clean the board connections and replace the horz and the power modules which probably fried do to the loose connections. I still have the set here and some day i will bring it out and restore it.Also I have my grandfathers 13 inch Quasar which was bought around the same time as the 19 inch set.I will look into that too.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a 17" version of this set in my garage. It's got all the modules and has 4 tubes. It's a good set. I fixed a broken power switch when I received it, and the owner never came to pick it up. (I hate that.)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Good luck buddy
Old 08-07-2016, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some progress.... Lots of screwing around to get plastic bezel to sit tight to CRT, looks good now. Improved since attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lookin' good!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good indeed! What did you use to refinish the cabinet?
Old 08-07-2016, 11:10 PM
TheUniversalDave1

That set looks very good. Great job refinishing it. I just got the exact set today at an estate sale. I just used Gojo on mine, and I'm satisfied with it.