Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Price advice for a Predicta

Hey everybody,

I'm about to make an offer on what appears to be a very clean Holiday (model UG4242). The kicker: it's located in Madrid, Spain, about an eight-hour drive from me. It is likely the only Predicta in the country, and one of only a few on the continent.

The set is in a vintage shop (differentiated from a junk store by the prices). The seller wants 550€ for it, and they said the screen lights up but the lady in the shop isn't technical enough to tell me anything else. It hasn't had a CCIR conversion done, still 110V, which means it hasn't been used in Spain. It was likely either a decoration or...I dunno. So probably low hours, but who knows.

All the knobs are there, no scratches or pitting on the brass around the CRT or the rails/feet. The seller claims it will come with a NOS Philco stand made for the TV, bought but never used.

They're asking 550€. That's a lot of money. But it's the only one I'll probably ever get my hands on. But it's a lot of money. There is a risk that I will drive all they way there to pick it up and it will have an open filament in the CRT (despite what they said) or be otherwise not what I'm expecting, so it would mean a wasted two-day trip. But it's a Predicta in Europe. But it's a lot of money.

I told her I'd call with an offer today. I have no idea how much to offer. Whatever it's worth to me, I guess. If it were half an hour away I'd probably already have paid what they're asking.

Anyone care to chime in? What is a fair price for something like this?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 AM
M is for Memory

In the USA an example in that condition can be picked up for ~$300...Or less with good patience.

I can't tell if I'm seeing a compression artifact or a burn line in the center of the CRT...If the Vert sweep failed and it burned a line in the center I'd walk away.

If you do go for it and have a CRT tester bring it. Also these use a low volt heater CRT if it has not been changed so look up the lowest voltage for it here (the info has been posted on VK before) and start your tester on that setting (if no light after 30 sec slowly raise the voltage till it glows or you hit 6.3).

As for what to offer...How bad do you want it, will they haggle at a low offer or hang up insulted, and how far do you think they will budge? Those are what I consider when in a situation where I feel the price is high, but lack good market insight.

If they have the means to power it you might want to ask for a pic of the light screen...If it was last powered up within 6 months it should be okay.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it has the 2.3V filament CRT that is a big minus. 6.3V is better. Can you bring a signal source and see what kind of picture you can get?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

It seems to have a lot going for it, even if it doesn't work. Looks like the plastic screen/mask is un-cracked too. Did Philco actually make a stand for the Holiday models? Might be a good deal if you can get it at a reasonable price with the stand.

Heck, my Holiday was just an unworking display for 15 years until I got motivated to get it working.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISawItOnTV View Post
Did Philco actually make a stand for the Holiday models?
Yes, but it's extremely rare to find one nowadays.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holiday stand blonde.jpg.jpg (43.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Holiday stand walnut.jpg.jpg (100.8 KB, 135 views)
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Wiscojim. Looks like better cooling/venting too.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm curious if that is an original speaker cloth/ front cover? It looks very different from mine but I don't know if there were multiple options for a mahogany Holiday.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISawItOnTV View Post
Thanks Wiscojim. Looks like better cooling/venting too.
Yes, that's definitely a plus for these.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you really, really want one, where else will you get one? Certainly having one shipped from the states would cost you more, plus the concerns of it getting damaged in freight. You could drive over, buckle this into the passenger seat of your car, and it will be yours, all yours! I'm not sure what they exchange rate is but, say it was priced at $500 American. If I really wanted it, I might start at offering $250 and try negotiating from there. The worst that could happen is they won't budge. In the end, even if you have to pay full price my experience has been that you'll forget about that & just be happy that you got what you wanted. I do agree that testing the crt would be a great idea. That could be a big part of your negotiations if it tests weak or dead. At the very least you could test the filament with a meter or batteries.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Is it missing it's metal feet? It may just be sitting on something soft but it shouldn't be flat on it's bottom.
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer a couple of questions:

- no burn-in, it's just a bad photo. I have a few others and there's nothing on the screen.
- the stand is likely not original, she sent me a pic and it's got plastic wrapping around the metal parts, something I don't think they did in 1959. But hey a stand is better than no stand.
- can't turn it on, it's 110V. I'm not sure how she knows the screen lights up but can't plug it in.
- I believe it still has the feet, it's sitting on some corrugated cardboard in the photo

I'm going to offer her 300€ on the condition that I can test the CRT before I pick it up and see what happens. I doubt she'll get offended.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Surely you can get a step down transformer? You will need one eventually anyway if you purchase the set.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, she won't even make a counter. 550€ or GTFO. I have been eyeing an Admiral in her neck of the woods that I would also have to drive down and bring back; I guess I can stop by on the way and have a look in person, then if it's really nice just bite the bullet and add it to the truck. That is really more than I want to spend on any TV though.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 AM
M is for Memory

Well if you get the other set for a good deal say 50€ you can average the purchase price and say each set was 300. And you only spent half the gas per set to get them.

A friend of mine goes to Chicago periodically and tries to line up an SUV full of purchases each time (so the gas per item divides better). May be worth stopping at some junk shopps on the way.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-21-2018, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well bumping with an update. I have to go to Madrid next week for work, and I also have a credit with Hertz, and if that's not a sign I don't know what is.

So I'm taking the train down on Wednesday, getting a van early Thursday morning, and picking up my new Predicta at 9:30. Also two 12-inch Zenith tube B&W sets (one with genuine leather on it), a mint Philco Townhouse ("the ugliest Philco"), a 12" GEE B&W set, and a Grundig midcentury console stereo with 6BQ5 outputs and a reel-to-reel deck, after a meandering tour of the suburbs of Madrid. There is also a funny-looking Sylvania B&W set and a 19" GEE B&W with stand that I might add if I can fit them in time-wise. I took Electronic M's advice and decided to average the cost of all the TVs together and that way the Predicta was a bargain.

One potential fly in the ointment is that the Predicta is actually in an old house that has no electricity. Conveniently. So I'm going to bring a DVM and check for filament continuity in the CRT and cross my fingers.

Pics next week!
Audiokarma