Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:51 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Thumbs up BORING little swap meet find

Went to swap meet...and for some reason this little 12" GE b/w set caught my eye. The guy wanted ten bucks for the thing, and to me it looks like someone took it out of the box, taped ALL it's antennas and paperwork on top....and then it SAT. I got it simply because the damn thing still looks BRAND new....warranty card, paperwork AND both it's antennas still in their sealed bag.

For all I know, the thing was new and in a FLOOD or something, but it just looked so "nice and boring" brand new....I took it home :-)

It model number is 12XR5104S...and shows it's a "Chassis XR-A", and was built in June of 1984. Here are some pics of my just bringing it in and setting it on the coffee table. It's ONLY issue so far (not plugged in yet), is that the guy has the paperwork, antennas and stuff TAPED on top...and the tape sorta goes down both sides of the set. May take just a little 409 to clean that gunk off...or possibly some Goof-Off if it's more difficult.

The set has a homely silver front...creme top and sides...and black back. These look FLAWLESS and so far appear to look brand new. It'll make a nice shelf queen even if I suddenly find the thing has had an opposum living inside (I hope it's gone :-P )

I do notice it was made in Korea, so it's probly not really worth anything at all...but it'll look nice in the kitchen, and I'm glad I got a chance to have it instead of it just ending up in the trash without it apparently seeing NO use so far.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
"micro" and quirky

oops....pics (wouldn't let me edit)

Cool! Got into the sealed bag, and found it has it's little owners manual, the green warranty card, and even a schematic was in there on a seperate paper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg just home Back.jpg (69.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg just home Front.jpg (70.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Model.jpg (61.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg paperwork.jpg (80.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (80.8 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-29-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM
console lover

I like it, but then I'm partial to GE. When exactly did the switch from branding consumer stuff General Electric to just using the logo happen? Sometime between 1986 and 1989 for sure, but can anybody pin it down more precisely?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice! I have one of those sets in well used condition. That one uses a GoldStar chassis and is what they used when GE stopped making their own "XB" chassis. This same chassis was used in many other brands of 12" sets. By the early '80's, most companies figured out that they could import the sets cheaper than they could build them themselves.

As far as the switch from "General Electric" to "GE", I know they were still spelling it out in '87 because I have a BOTL knob tuned 19" GE from that year with the brand spelled out. This set uses a CTC136 chassis; which, is actually an RCA chassis. It was probably around '88, when GE sold everything to Thomson, when the logo changed.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM
"micro" and quirky

Well..... I cleaned it all up (DID end up using Goof-Off for the tape), set all that original paperwork aside safely, put BOTH antennas together, even though I don't really use the UHF loop. It just looked cool and should be there.

Powereing this up was a non-issue......JUST like if I had gotten it new 20 years ago. I made a nice spot for it to live in the kitchen, just like it woulda likely seen back then. It makes an odd "new TV" smell after a few hours of running. If I notice this in a week or so, I might open it up and look for anything alarming. it's NOT an ozone "HV smell"...or any sort of burning smell, just some sort of "stuff being warm" smell. I actually DON'T really wanna open it up, since it's pretty obvious this set was never run before. Maybe I could just get away with taking the back off and dusting it off unless I notice anything. I don't really think it needs ANY sort of dialing in. It shows a very solid crosshatch and nicely focused dots.

Picture is exactly as I expected of it really. Big and contrasty, and the bright/contrast controls are real exagerated compared to most my small sets. Brightness goes from BLACK to WAY too bright, contrast goes from "almost white screen" to big black shadows. Good and sharp. THIS is now my biggest set now, at least on my "collection" side at 12 inches. It's still about the same size box as the Sear 9" and the 9" Quasar TV I rescued from oblivion a few months ago. It looks nice in the kitchen....because it looks boring (dunno how to explain it). Looks like it's SUPPOSED to be there :-)

It's MUCH nicer looking and more satisfying to see there than if I had gone out and got a brand new 17" LCD panel.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-30-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Don't locate it where the sun can fade the white plastic over time. That is a real nice looking set. Most of those I have seen were branded Goldstar. The "new" smell will go away after a while of regular use. It is nothing to be alarmed about. I absolutely love 12" black and white sets.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Don't locate it where the sun can fade the white plastic over time. That is a real nice looking set. Most of those I have seen were branded Goldstar. The "new" smell will go away after a while of regular use. It is nothing to be alarmed about. I absolutely love 12" black and white sets.
It's a funny thing about white plastic. The stuff turns yellow even if it's not exposed to the sun. It has something to do with the flame proof qualities of the new plastics.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yup....It's not at all next to the only window, and that window IS where the sink is, so NO television is ever gonna be in danger of water OR sun in this kitchen. It'll see a pretty easy life sitting there. I'll turn it on when company is around just for fun...and the occasional cooking project will have it playing....mimicking what is on the TV in the front room. I'll turn this one on FAR more often than a little 7" LCD TV/radio/CD/DVD boombox thing I have on top of the fridge. That boombox thing is always so much silliness with it's REMOTE and all the stupid menus. SOMETIMES I'm in that mood.....but usually I am NOT, and wanna JUST turn on the TV.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
"micro" and quirky

And yes Dieseljeep. I found that to be the case with the little RCA "lunar" clock radio. It's SUPPOSED to be all white (and would look REAL NICE that way again)....but it's all yellow....EVEN underneath, and the few I have seen ALL seem to look like that. Some worse than others.

I may someday paint it white again (The Lunar)....but so far have just left it unmolested. I did pull that one apart to get it's little flip-clock working....and ALMOST painted it white THEN.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I need more vintage!!

It appears this GE uses a near identical chassis as my '87 12" Emerson which has a Goldstar Tube.

Last edited by Trance88; 07-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
"micro" and quirky

Couple pics of this little set....where it now lives

I turn it on almost every day....just for a couple hours.

Sorry this didn't turn much into any sort of restoration project....not even a single screw touched, but aside from removing some tape residue from the top and sides.....I might as well have just brought this set home brand new from an old Fedco store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen 1.jpg (83.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen 2.jpg (73.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

No, it'll NEVER be a CT-100 or anything like that, but I think its still pretty neat as it is, on its own...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
And yes Dieseljeep. I found that to be the case with the little RCA "lunar" clock radio. It's SUPPOSED to be all white (and would look REAL NICE that way again)....but it's all yellow....EVEN underneath, and the few I have seen ALL seem to look like that. Some worse than others.

I may someday paint it white again (The Lunar)....but so far have just left it unmolested. I did pull that one apart to get it's little flip-clock working....and ALMOST painted it white THEN.
Google search for "Retrobrite" (hope I got the spelling) the vintage Computer collecting crowd developed it for removing yellowing from vintage plastic.

I think when I was a few years old my folks let me play with a similar GE to yours. The cord had been cut off because it was busted. Some where between when I was 4 and 9 years old in the mid 90's I dropped the set about 3' and released the vacuum on the CRT outside when my folks were around. They thought the thing might be leaking toxic gas and had me stand back until the hissing stopped. LOL It hit the curb on the next garbage day after that.....

That dumb incident caused me, a few years later, to release the vacuum on a 21" CRT in 50's monochrome RCA table set so I could discharge the HV......God was I dumb then. That set is still rotting in the woods as it has for at least the last 4 decades.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hehehehe...Back around '83 or so, I'd just gotten my Uzi. Hadn't had it Converted to Rockin Roll yet, but even in semi-auto, an Uzi ain't exactly Chopped Liver...Anyhow, I bought an old Sixties vintage GE B/W console, me & a bud took it up to The Dump, & he videotaped me shooting the old GE...I first pulled all the tubes out, set 'em on top & plinked 'em off..Then, the 2 big tuning knobs met their fate. Finally the CRT exploded in a hail of 9 MikeMike...We just left that ol' TV up there, I it served as a Target for all the OTHER wannabe Rambos...Every time we came back, a little more had been turned into Doodle-Dust... By Oct/Nov, even the chassis was more or less gone.. I think I paid the old guy $2 for it, we CERTAINLY got more than our money's worth of Fun outta it...C'mon, all y'all KNOW you've always wanted to BLAST AWAY a junky old TV...Sad thing is, there are some microwave antennas up there that got made into impromptu targets, & the place also turned into one of the bigger drug supermarkets around here...And I think a couple of Girls got, uhh, "Compromised" up there, so the city shut it down. A big padlocked gate guards the joint now, w/a stern "WARNING !" sign.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

That's a boring find alright...

Next.
Audiokarma