Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pilot TV-37

I picked up this Pilot TV-37 today in a home woodshop cabinet. Of course the seller said it was a factory prototype. Not. I wonder if Pilot even made cabinets instead of sourcing them in 1949. Whatever, it was too unique to let pass for fun here. The cabinet is 1/8" solid panels with glued corner bracing. The chassis is held with the original tabs to the base but the cabinet should have been about 3/8" longer to get the knobs closer to the cabinet. The antenna mount is glued to the top of the cabinet with no back ever. It is stained but not varnished. The crt bezel actually looks like it was made for a prototype. I had to glue the antenna mount and a lower corner that separated. There is a panel shrinkage crack on the top and side but not fixed yet. Actually, the cabinet is rather well designed. Who knows when this was made. One clue is the Pilot sticker inside. It is a later version of their artwork and logo and a separate TV-37 id is pasted below. I did a Google photo search and found nothing. Heres hoping I can get the photos to load.

The bonus is it has been restored with a minor problem. The 3KP4 is it's usual dim self but better than usual with good focus. Audio is off a bit and on the low side. The big problem is the vertical centering is off. I can only get it to about 3/4 of the way north towards real centering. There is only v size and v centering available and the v size is not the insulated version. I'm not sure if that is factory. Horz is fine. DC restoration is not great. Schematic and tube check time.

And I think I found a way to resize pics using the Windows photo viewer. It worked here. More on that later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231104_140725b.jpg (110.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20231104_142300.jpg (51.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 11-04-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would check the vertical pots and resistors off them and check b+ as mine was low and added a diode under the positive rectifier tube.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is a bonus that the 3KP4 works that well! Nice.