Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
I placed almost a 100 dollar order with Capacitor World today. I went with all the common values I could think of plus some not-so-common values as well.
My first experience with capacitor world went pretty much like yours...

Hmm, I can get 10 each of all 30 values of 630V metal film, practically next day delivery, and I haven't yet even hit $70!

Ok, now let me figure out the 5 most common values from the parts lists for my pile of chosen projects. Ok, so for those 5 values I'll get an additional 25 pieces. Shopping cart says only $92.10!!!

This place rocks!

Well, that should keep me stocked for the foreseeable future, now lets think about 'lytics... Well, if I'm stuffing cans, buying all 450V caps will inevitably end up with not being able to fit everything into the gutted can, so I'll get 5 each of the common values in 450V, and then drop down and score 3 each of the same values from the 250v section...

Shopping cart is now at $155, but its such a great value... Such a small price to pay to be secure in the knowledge that I'm very unlikely to be found wanting when it comes to recapping.

I'm just crazy enough to actually order 546 caps for an average cost of $0.28 shipped though.

..."And pull de effing trigger till it goes.... click." Order placed!

The next morning in a warehouse somewhere in NJ:

Yo! Frankie! We got another nutter last night. Hope you have fun picking and bagging some from every damned bin in the film area!

Where the hell do these guys come from, and what evil deeds are they doing that they need some of everything?

Meanwhile, in central PA:

Huh. I really did order a buttload of caps last night, it wasn't a dream after all... Welp, "bought the ticket, take the ride" seems to apply.

Time passes, and so does a postal worker:

Woohoo! Gimme gimme gimme!

Damn, I hadn't considered how long it was going to take me to stash them in the parts-drawers for rapid accessibility.

Ahh, now I fully understand why all the ready-made capacitor assortment kits available are either really crap in overall number of different values, or cripplingly expensive compared to calculated component cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
... Time to pick up some more of those little plastic sorting cabinets. I can finally get serious and have the parts sitting for me, on hand.
I got some very usable divided cases/cabinets after visiting Lowes, Home Depot, and Dick's Sporting Goods. If you have very few pieces of many different types, go for the type targeted at fishermen. If you have bulk quantities of many different things, go for the types aimed at contractors.

ALWAYS carefully examine and evaluate the closure/retention mechanism. If it doesn't close securely, it will play Brutus to your Caesar when you least expect it. Also pay attention to how well partitioned off the compartments are. If things can compartment hop with the lid fully closed you'll suffer much frustration and anger when you grab the wrong thing from the right location and it either explodes right away, or takes hours of troubleshooting to notice...
Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Parts Cabinets

I get these at Home Depot. They're easy to hang on a wall, and sturdy enough.

Surprised no one mentioned Justradios.com for caps. It's worth taking a look at his assortment of capacitor and resistor kits. Only downside is that it can take a week for shipping from Canada.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:34 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post

I'm just crazy enough to actually order 546 caps for an average cost of $0.28 shipped though....
Just curious, what brand are they? no mention on the website...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!