Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mitsu 220 CRT monitor repair: which way round focus wires go?

Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 220 CRT monitor

two wires (black and red) go straight from the flyback into the CRT socket. they are labelled focus 1 (black, i believe static focus) and focus 2 (red, I believe dynamic focus). they go through 2 separate spark gaps (shared chamber) before connecting to actual CRT pins. But I'm not sure which way around they go (they can either connect to the right or left spark gap chamber).

In the schematics it labels the focus wires going out of the flyback as "focus 1" and "focus 2" but labels both the focus wires going into the CRT pins
just as "g3", so I don't know which way round the focus wires connect to the two CRT pins. Or maybe the lack of specification is an indication that the order doesn't matter?

Most service manuals I've come across state that the static and dynamic focuses run on the same voltage, so maybe it doesn't matter which way around they go, or at least, it won't fry something in the tube. However, at least one service manual has a static voltage over 1000 and dynamic around 150, so I don't want to get them the wrong way around.

Since both voltages are probably just going to electrodes or coils for focusing, I'm wondering if they might be able to handle whatever voltages i throw at them anyway? These components can't fry can they? and there aren't usually other components in a CRT I might worry about frying on the way to the electrodes are there?

There is no continuity between the focus pins on the CRT. I can't find a pinout for the CRT neck, or any CRT neck with static and dynamic focus pins. The CRT has 10 pins in total. The 2 focus pins on the CRT are separated from the rest by plastic wall going all around them.

I've been researching this for a week but somehow this is never really explained or mentioned much.

Thank you!