Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seeking CRT technician in Detroit area

Hello all,

I am working on a project for a museum in the Detroit area, and need to have some solid-state (1980s) CRTs assessed for condition and tested. Any recommendations for a qualified person would be greatly appreciated. Right now, this is only a one-day (paid!) project but could lead to more work depending on how the assessment goes.

Thanks very much,

Jeff Martin
Chicago, IL
Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds interesting. Wish I lived in Detroit!
Old 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdocs View Post
Hello all,

I am working on a project for a museum in the Detroit area, and need to have some solid-state (1980s) CRTs assessed for condition and tested. Any recommendations for a qualified person would be greatly appreciated. Right now, this is only a one-day (paid!) project but could lead to more work depending on how the assessment goes.

Thanks very much,

Jeff Martin
Chicago, IL
A CRT can be tested by a device called a CRT tester. Black-and-white tubes are easier to test than color tubes as three electron guns, one each for red, green and blue.
Many color CRT testers are also CRT rejuvenatiors. They can allow a poor CRT to work well for some time, especially if the set is used infrequently.

I work in downtown Detroit, but you're lucky to be in Chicago.

Very many of the people here on Videokarma are in Chicagoland. Chicago was central to home entertainment electronics manufacturing from the 1930s to the 1970s.

Last edited by Robert Grant; 03-30-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is the goal here ? I am sure we can help with more info. If
you just want to test CRT's a good modern ( late 70's on ) CRT checker
is what you need. If its old TV's we can look at screen shots of the
pix to tell roughly how well they work.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the OP is using CRT to mean a television or monitor with a CRT display, vs. a flat panel.
Audiokarma
Old 04-02-2019, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello all,

Thanks for the responses, and apologies for my delay in answering. I should have provided some more details. So:

I'm looking at a video wall installation that was originally built in the 1980s, but has not been powered up in some time. There are several dozen identical CRT monitors in the installation. I'm doing the first step of an assessment about how to bring it back online.

I still have to do some very fundamental research--I need make/model numbers, manuals, etc. from the institution's files. I especially need to find out what I can about how many hours these specific monitors have on them. But I'm also planning to do, at a minimum, basic photo documentation of the monitors--removing the housings from at least a small sample of them to see if any visible problems can be seen in the electronics.

All that said, I am absolutely not qualified to test these monitors myself, even if I had access to the relevant equipment. They're not my property, and I do not have the expertise. Even with the collective wisdom available here, I would not feel comfortable doing anything on my own beyond removing the housings and taking photographs. It's simply a matter of caution regarding things that don't belong to me. I'm no expert, but I'm also at least smart enough to know what *not* to do (like just powering them up, for example...)

Hence my inquiry about a qualified technician. I've had great experiences in similar situations in other cities, and hope there might be someone with whom I could collaborate on this. If that doesn't work out, I may well return to the forum with questions about what I should be looking for when I open up the monitors. Like I said, I am not an expert, but I think I at least know enough to ask the right questions and not screw things up. I think!

Best,

Jeff

Hence my request for an experienced tech. If anyone has recommendations, that's great. If not, I've already informed my client that we may need to figure out how to work with someone in another city (like Chicago.)
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just curious. Is it the Video Flag?

Feel free to send any questions you may have about CRT .
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Make, model & chassis numbers will help. Also a front & back pix.
Since they are from the 80's they probably still work.
No harm in firing a few up & seeing how they work. You will
need some type of video source like a DVD.
Good luck
Zeno
LFOD !