Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

On the bench: Zenith color roundie 25MC30

Well, here we go with another set......

When I got this Zenith, it was partially recapped, and working. After making it home to Buffalo from MD, I got about 45 seconds viewing time out of it, the vertical started to shrink, and I smelled (something). Shut it down immediately, and months later, here we are at today.

Did a full recap on the set and half a dozen new tubes, and powered it up for the first time just half an hour or so ago. Zero vertical sweep (just three bright lines of color very close together, you can see the horizontal shifting around with some kind of picture), but sound and reception was right on the money.

What was odd, is that there was a prominent ticking sound coming from somewhere in the chassis, about two ticks per second, steady beat. No arcing that I could see either topside or underneath (the set has an open bottom, there was a screen of some kind there which is long departed.

I'm inclined to think vertical output transformer at this stage, but wanted to see what others thought.