Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Question Quick Q about LINEAR STEREO VCR

Hi,
Can someone please tell me if it would be possible for a VCR, with only linear stereo, to playback modern tapes? What I mean is, do all factory pre-recorded VHS movie tapes also have linear stereo tracks or did manufacturers abandon that when they switched over to the Hi-Fi audio system? Or did they keep both the linear stereo and hi-fi? Reason I ask is because I found a new old stock VCR (heavy, well built - probably early 80's) locally for cheap but it'll only do linear stereo (has dolby b which can be turned on or off). I don't mind that as long as it'll playback my modern tapes in stereo.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cjacek; 11-11-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Peanut Head

Dolby Linear Stereo continued for a few years after the introduction of ""Hi-Fi".
But afterwards the linear tracks went back to mono.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yes, most modern VHS tapes will only have linear tracks in mono. You need a VHS HiFi machine for most newer than early HiFi era tapes to play Stereo.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

My old NEC N965U has linear Dolby stereo on it with HIFi sound.
The machine was like a fancy sports car that needed a repair or a tuneup all the time.It ran great when it works.

I can just switch off the Hifi track and listen to the linear track with the NEC.

I think Panasonic,JVC and Hitachi made VCRs with linear stereo then.They are probably others I forgotten about.

I agree most of todays VCRs if they are still selling any are more likely are mono.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, thank you very much everybody. I feared that it might be the case. The stereo linear tracks probably don't sound as good as hi-fi, I can accept that but that I would have to deal with mono linear on many VHS tapes, would kind of suck. I have VHS tapes from the late 80's to 90's so these probably have only the mono linear track (in addition to hi-fi). I think I'll pass on that VCR. It's a nice one but, like I said, only has linear stereo and, as you guys mentioned, many VHS tapes have only mono linear, which I assume wouldn't sound all that good. Thanks again.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Nos so sure about pre-recorded tapes. Some probably do have linear stereo as well as hi-fi. My old Mitsubishi HS-430U, a mid-'80s VCR, has both. There will definitely be an audible difference in audio quality. Consider to make two linear tracks they had to split an already very narrow 1 mm wide mono audio track into two WITH a guard band in between so basically about 1/3 of a mm track width for each track!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Disney and MCA/Universal put Dolby encoded linear stereo tracks onto prerecorded taps well into the 90's. Most other companies did the same until at least 90-91.

The tapes will be marked not only withe the HiFi lof but it will also say Dolby NR on linear tracks.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a Fisher from the late 80's that was both HiFi and Stereo Linear both record and playback. It might have been an FVH-5550 but it's been so long I am not 100% sure of the model.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacek
Yeah, thank you very much everybody. I feared that it might be the case. The stereo linear tracks probably don't sound as good as hi-fi, I can accept that but that I would have to deal with mono linear on many VHS tapes, would kind of suck.
Try it and see buddy

Personally I love Mono.........To me it sounds even BETTER (I listen to my cassettes in Mono also)