Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Basket case Crosley tombstone

One of the flea market vendors gave me this 7-tube Crosley tombstone. She said that the cabinet was shot; but, maybe there was something inside I could use. It does indeed look bad; but, I've seen worse. I think this would be a nice radio and I'm going to give it a shot. Since I have zero money in this, I don't have a whole lot to lose and I hate to part it out without at least giving it a chance.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes to restoring this set
Find a woodworkers guild in your area and ask them to restore the cabinet
While you work on the radio itself
That's what I do hire my cabinet work to several retired woodworkers
They do me a great job and set up to do that
For I'm not able to do that kind of repair

Last edited by 47'Plymouth; 12-15-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Any radio that has the rectifier plugged directly into the top of the power transformer has just GOTTA get saved
Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some of the plywood may be able to be saved with a lot of glue injection and clamping. Some may need to be replaced. Then heat and peel the veneer and save it for patching other projects. Re-veneer with new veneer. It's a detailed process but that's what I would like: lots to do in the cabinet and the chassis departments. Anything you don't know how to do yet, you read up on the web and figure it out, and then you've brought the "dead" back to life!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Any radio that has the rectifier plugged directly into the top of the power transformer has just GOTTA get saved
What model number is the set?
That is also one great looking dial. I like multi-colored dials.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

There seems to be a tube socket missing on the chassis, so restoring this radio could take a lot longer than it would if the only problems were with the cabinet finish.

BTW, this is the first radio I've ever seen with the rectifier tube socket on top of the power transformer. I've seen TVs with this arrangement, but it is very unusual to find any radio set up this way. I personally don't like this arrangement, because if the rectifier tube socket crumbles or breaks the entire transformer must be replaced--even if the transformer itself is still good.

I suppose, however, it would be possible to rig up some sort of external rectifier socket if the one on the transformer becomes unusable for any reason. However, there would be the matter of finding room for that extra socket on the chassis, but I think even that could be worked around by mounting the outboard socket on a small chassis and either bolting it to the main chassis, or fastening the outboard chassis to the cabinet in a clear spot and running leads to the transformer. This may not be the correct way to compensate for a broken tube socket on a power transformer, but I think it should work. After all, many prewar radios were seen after the war with makeshift repairs under the chassis and elsewhere, necessitated by the lack of correct repair parts during WWII and the fact that new radios were not being manufactured during that time.

The same technique would work today, if one is not concerned too much about authenticity when restoring an antique or vintage radio. However, if the goal is to keep the radio as original as possible, the only alternative, of course, would be to try to locate a correct transformer with a top-mounted rectifier socket. Where these special transformers could be found today, however, is anyone's guess (unless one could be salvaged from a junker), since no modern radio manufacturer uses them anymore.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Philco 37-675 has the rectifier tube mounted on top of the power transformer. It's a 5X4 rectifier tube.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
There seems to be a tube socket missing on the chassis, so restoring this radio could take a lot longer than it would if the only problems were with the cabinet finish.
The extra hole looks to be where a filter capacitor can was once located. As was mentioned, many Philco radios have the rectifier tube mounted on the power transformer. Especially 1937 models. I've never encountered any additional problems by having that kind of arrangement on a set.

Would be great to see this set resotred. Two things it has going for it are a good dial glass and all the knobs.

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think it's a model 716. Here's the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...8/M0003598.pdf
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Administrator

If you do happen to part it out, I believe that I'll be getting a very similar Crosley cathedral that's missing a speaker, next week.....
Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Some of the plywood may be able to be saved with a lot of glue injection and clamping. Some may need to be replaced. Then heat and peel the veneer and save it for patching other projects. Re-veneer with new veneer. It's a detailed process but that's what I would like: lots to do in the cabinet and the chassis departments. Anything you don't know how to do yet, you read up on the web and figure it out, and then you've brought the "dead" back to life!
Radios like this are worth the effort to restore what is left of the cabinet.
I have had to do two consoles in the last year that involved lots of woodworkers glue, veneer removal with a steam iron and staining the entire cabinet includung the new veneer. Now lacquer has been sprayed on both and finish needs rubbed out for a piano shine.

Harbor freight has all the cheap wood-working clamps you will ever need to make this solid again. That falling apart is most discouraging but easy to fix.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Wouldn't eveven bother to restore the cabinet just do the electrics,paper caps,resistors,etc,makes it the radio version of a rat rod.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

To each his own, but I would enjoy the challenge of making the cabinet over and have done so in the past.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
To each his own, but I would enjoy the challenge of making the cabinet over and have done so in the past.
I agree 100% . That cabinet is by no means too far gone for someone who wants to do the woodwork , and like I mentioned earlier that 5Y3 plugged into the power transformer has just gotta live on . I know it may sound weird , but there are certain things that attract us to certain sets , and one of mine is the power transformer/rectifier combo . Another is , of course , if a set has an eye tube (I realize this one don't) and of course if a set has multiple IF tube stages .

Believe it or not , I actually give bonus points to sets with electromagnets on the speakers rather than PM types
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love to work on basketcases. Yes it has its issues but try it. Thats how you get better by going a little farther than you have been before. I had always wanted a Cathedral radio. I took one on a repair payment that was about this bad. The chassis was worse. I started on it a while back and now its in my house on a table. I say give it a try as it will look beautiful when done.
Audiokarma