Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Banned

Just picked up a Dell SP2208WFP HD Computer Monitor Today

Hello Everyone today I got from Goodwill (where I'm actually working now) a Dell SP2208WFP HD Computer Monitor for $10 (originally it was $20 but got it for $10 using my employee discount.) Anyways I got the monitor home and went to hook it up to my computer using my HDMI cable and powered it on and it would show a display for about 5 seconds and then it would shut down, well I figured out from my previous experience with flat panel TVs and monitors that the power supply caps were probably pretty toasty by now so I took the monitor apart and sure enough there were 6 330 MFD 35V Electrolytic capacitors in the power supply of the monitor that were all vented and bulging on top, so I went to mouser and ordered 6 Nichicon 330 MFD 35V electrolytic capacitors for this Monitor which only cost about $1.90 because they were only $0.32 a piece and then with shipping it came out to about $8.00 and some change. So anyways I had actually been looking for a decent HD computer monitor for a while and the opportunity came up today. Sorry about not having any pictures but the monitor is torn apart currently and I can't get any pictures of it right now in its torn apart state right now.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I get one like that...

I usually go up on the voltage specification and capacity specification. Whatever caused these caps to vent will most likely cause the new ones to do that also.
Thats, of course, assuming the new ones will fit in the same space.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Capacitors are rated with a finite life span. Some last longer than others. Going up in voltage rating doesn't necessarily make them last longer. A certain Samsung VCR I used to service, quite a few actually, a multi-standard NTSC-PAL-SECAM model, would come in dead with failed 10V capacitors on the 5V supply line. Even replacing with 25V capacitors would still fail! Just a crappy power supply design. Seemed to have so much harmonic distortion in the output of the SMPS passing through the filter capacitor to ground even with an inductor ahead of the capacitor, would cook them internally. Brand-new low ESR Panasonic or Nichicon cap would run warm to the touch from the get-go.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
I usually go up on the voltage specification and capacity specification. Whatever caused these caps to vent will most likely cause the new ones to do that also.
Thats, of course, assuming the new ones will fit in the same space.
No, it's a known problem with LCD panels. When the caps aren't of questionable quality they cook themselves to death.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
No, it's a known problem with LCD panels. When the caps aren't of questionable quality they cook themselves to death.
Well I know that with most of the LCD Monitors and TVs I've dealt with that had bad power supply caps in them used CapXon Capacitors which are cheap Chinese capacitors and then when I replace them with a known good quality capacitor like Nichicons they last quite a while. I think it just has to do with the fact that they were just using el cheapo poor quality capacitors in the power supplies on these LCD monitors and TVs which is why they fail like they do.

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-05-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

Capacitors came in the mail today and replaced all of the bad capacitors with the new ones (which fit just fine in place of the old ones) I got the unit put back together and hooked up and it works just fine. It actually has really good picture and even though its native resolution is 1680 x 1050 it can do 1920 x 1080 just fine.
I would post a picture of it working but my camera which is an older low-resolution camera from about 2004 wouldn't do the monitor justice as far as just how good it looks.