Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Central Dynamics Switcher

It was $25 at the recycling center. Model VS-14.

Made in Canada. Boards date to 1977. Supposedly it can do chroma keying internally and all signalling is composite but the company and the documentation is nowhere to be found so even figuring out what kind of voltage it needs will be a learning experience.

Does now however mean I now own all the components to operate a studio, aside from the space to set one up in.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Technohippie

Very cool! Should be lots of fun to play around with!

Worth a lot more than $25 just for the joystick pot and all the BNC connectors...
Old 05-22-2015, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got an identical joystick pot out of a junk bin years ago. Never knew what to put it in but suddenly now I have a spare should I wreck this one. The electronics in this are beautiful.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

My compatriots at my old station confirm that this is the same switcher that we bought to replace a RCA TS-5 in the late 70's. It was tied to an early Grass Valley outboard effects generator for chromakey and wipe patterns. The Grass panel had a giant dial for all the functions and was about 8'x8" on the sides. I need to see a pic again for history. And I can still sling the Grass in my sleep.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I understand there are no labels stating the supply voltage?
That power connector could be used for 120VAC before standarisation. Or it could need a custom external power supply.
At the back panel a space can be seen with 4 screws, it looks as it could have a power circuit behind. And in the internal photo, several wires come out of that area, below the SPOT LIGHT button.
Anyway, it is a full 120V power supply or just a voltage regulator?
Old Sony SEG2000 has a peculiar power supply. It uses one switching regulator for any of the three inputs (AC, external DC power supply or 12V batteries) and in the mains input there just is a step down transformer and 24V rectifier and filter. After that there comes the power selector (AC, ExtDC, BATT) and then the switching regulator.
Audiokarma