Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Administrator

XL-100 brightness....too much!!

I've noticed that on my 3 XL-100 consoles that all have excellent (or brand new) picture tubes that they are literally hurt-your-eyes bright and vivid.

I guess I shouldn't complain, and I've been told that's just the way they are....needing to compete with the Trinitrons of the day. That, and normally people were watching them from 10 plus feet away, and I'm about 3 feet away.

But is there any way to turn them down a bit? When I reduce the screen controls, the colors are way too saturated.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Technohippie

Many SS sets had a "sub brightness" control, but not sure about the XL-100. Might be worth a look...
Old 05-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Administrator

There is a "brightness range" control on my CTC-68, but that doesn't tone the guns down enough and the colors end up too vivid for the background.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the grey scale is right you you should not see any
retrace lines . If you turn down the brite, contrast &
color level you should get a black or near black screen.
Dont forget to turn off any auto color buttons to test.
If its an older XL with the upright steel chassis & modules
it may have a "kine bias" control or switch, try that.
Been too long to remember.
Newer XL's with one small chassis can have different problems.

73 Zeno
Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tim...remember that the CTC-68 set had 31KV of HV--instead of 26-27 of the 58, 48 or before. And they drove the tube HARD on them. I have one in the basement here...that was bought NEW..by my father, IIRC, before Christmas of 1973..and the CRT died after about 8-- years of HARD use..It was replaced by a channel master one in 1981 or so.. Not sure how good that tube still is. The cabinet is in GOOD shape still, dual speakers, no remote. some of the slide buttons on secondary controls are broke off.. l. Last tie on--it had a minor vertical problem and "vits line" interference in the picture--not likely a fault of the set.
Audiokarma
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Brightness or G2s are the wrong controls - they affect black level. You need to reduce the drive. Not familiar with this set - may be called "contrast" on this set as on many, or "picture."
Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the late '80's when we saw a lot of these...I had a couple of 68 XL's with excessive brightness...and it turned out to be a low 225 or so volt line for the video Bias supply. It has been close to 30 years..but I definitely remember oe of them...real bright, washed out, could not be turned down much and retrace. Once I replace the cap..it was MUCH better--and then sold. Not sure if that line is form the LV supply or flyback derived....
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I had some intermittent red, so I pulled all of the chroma boards, cleaned them, and resoldered some joints for the end plugs that had shaken loose....and lo and behold the picture is balanced and perfect.

Rather than thinking that it's a problem with the set design, it seems that it just might be a problem that's common to the set. Three sets the same, all 3 act(ed) the same. Hm. Gonna have to yank the backs on the other ones now.....
Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM
sampson159

i have the ctc68 nib set.same issues.i turned it all down,set the kine bias to its lowest setting and keep the contrast low.very nice picture.those early xl100s were fantastic sets and made beautiful pictures.