Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2019, 04:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Lg e8 oled screenshot test

Our 14 year old Sony XBR LCD TV finally malfunctioned, so we replaced it with a 2018 LG E8 4K OLED.

For those who remember how the first two commercial Sony Trinitron televisions looked and performed when they were introduced in 1968. At that time, the KV 7010UA and KV 1210U blew out every other CRT color television on the market in terms of perceived picture quality. It was instantly recognized by consumers, a quantum leap in color fedelity. I was 22 when the first Trinitrons were introduced.

I’m here to say that to this viewers eyes, the LG E8 OLED represents the same perceivable picture quality improvement when compared to LCD back lit displays as the Trinitron was to CRT based color sets in 1968.

The blacks are inky black infinite, which makes all other colors pop. At 80 degrees off axis, the image suffers no loss in contrast or picture quality. So far, I have not had the LG professionally calibrated, because the sets ISF Expert dark room and Technicolor presets are said to be close to perfect out the box. I have the LG set as follows: ISF Expert Dark Room, color temperature: Warm 2, Gamma 2.2, luminance: 37, all enhancements set to OFF, and we only adjusted the “2 Method” settings. The LG E8 is Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos enabled. Wide color gamut achieves a tested 98.5% of the DCI P3 color gamut. I have had a chance to view some 4K content with Dolby Vision HDR and its beautiful.

I have attached two low resolution screenshots of Katie Perry on American Idol last night and links to the the full resolution shots. ABC broadcasts in 720P. The camera used is a Sony A6300, 1/50 second, F16, focal length 24mm, auto white balance. I hope to update this thread with proper 4K HDR screenshots. These screenshots can’t convey the excellence of the image, but when you see it, you know it. The excitement I experienced from Trinitron comes back 50 years later with OLED.

High resolution link: https://visions4netjournal.com/wp-co...E5832F314.jpeg

Last edited by etype2; 03-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.