Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Metal Master

Telefunken Hymnus Hi-Fi 5014

Picked up a Telefunken console today. Not my usual thing but it's a tube model and a quick ebay search showed it has some value and the price was right. It was labeled as not working. Turns out the power plug was pulled out from the back of the receiver section when it was tested. It worked fine for me after fixing that. The tuner dial does not work on the AM and SW bands. Looks like something has it jammed up as the dial string starts to move when the tuning knob is wiggled. FM works and sounds great. Might be a speaker in the bottom section out as well. A few cosmetic issues with the veneer and a nice sanding and refinish and it should be a bit above just presentable. Missing one of the small sliding doors. Would love to find one of those. All in all a nice interesting piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Telefunkenconsole0001.jpg (121.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Telefunkenconsole0003.jpg (101.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Telefunkenconsole0005.jpg (112.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Telefunkenconsole0006.jpg (118.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Telefunkenconsole0009.jpg (105.9 KB, 94 views)

"....bossman screamin' in my ear about who I'm supposed to be" ~ Sebastain Bach (Skid Row)
Old 04-08-2006, 06:53 AM
In Twang We Trust

Beautimous........

Bad food is made without pride, by cooks who have no pride and no love. Bad food is fake food food that shows fear.....
Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
AK Member

Great Find

That is really in GREAT shape for only $5.00 But I gotta ask, where the hell are you gonna find room for that thing???? Nice score though!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Send Lawyers, Guns& Money

I like that one Mac! You could probably make a comparable door for it, just find the right stain. And if you don't have room for it..... I can probably find some!

No, liquor does not make you charming. That's what peyote is for.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:15 AM
DTV blows

Every time I see one of these German consoles posted I curse the fact that I don't have room for one. Gorgeous, Mac. Nice catch.
Tom
Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Metal Master

Thanks guys. Got my eye on a nice Grundig of the same vintage. Much nicer condition though. I'm anxious to get into the Tele and see if I can get the other bands to work. I doubt I'll use them much but I just want it to work as it should. Cool thing about it is the wife really likes it.

"....bossman screamin' in my ear about who I'm supposed to be" ~ Sebastain Bach (Skid Row)
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Send Lawyers, Guns& Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaltec
Cool thing about it is the wife really likes it.
Always an AMAZING event when that happens!

No, liquor does not make you charming. That's what peyote is for.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Shaken, not stirred

All put together and serviced, that big Tele should move some walls Mac. Damn! This is just the kind of set that really gets my blood pumping. Obviously, the makers intended to produce something really special, and they did. Frankly, I'd love to hear it...love to have it.

I'm on the lookout for a big Telefunken, Grundig or Saba stereo, preferably one with that typical German highly lacquered cabinet and multi-speaker construction; like a big Grundig Majestic. Doubt I'll find one for $5.00 though!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhhhh....Me LIKE !!! Uhhhh...Me WANT !!!!.....Uhhhhhh.......
Old 04-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Metal Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Woodbury
All put together and serviced, that big Tele should move some walls Mac. Damn! This is just the kind of set that really gets my blood pumping. Obviously, the makers intended to produce something really special, and they did. Frankly, I'd love to hear it...love to have it.

I'm on the lookout for a big Telefunken, Grundig or Saba stereo, preferably one with that typical German highly lacquered cabinet and multi-speaker construction; like a big Grundig Majestic. Doubt I'll find one for $5.00 though!
It does sound pretty good. Much better than the SS Magnavox consoles that I am used to finding. I'm pretty sure that one of the LF drivers in the bottom of the cabinet is not working though. If I can solve that problem along with the AM and SW band tuning I'll be satisfied. The turntable does not work. I am thinking of removing it (carefully) and setting one of my many TT's in its place for more frequent use. I will make sure that it will be able to be put back to original though. Gonna be a fun project when I get to it.

Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2006, 03:34 AM
We are all steak

Nice Tele... I just picked one up myself

Very Nice Tele Console. I just picked this one up a few weeks ago. It is similar to yours but it doesn't have those cool side speakers. It's a Hymnus 5216Wk. It was in excellent shape and after I brought it up on a variac it sounded amazing . Pulls in stations really well and it all works. It came with a R2R too. I would like to do a preventive recap but can't figure out how to get it out of the cabinet. Please let me know if you figure it out. A very well made console.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0565.JPG (127.6 KB, 61 views)

Bull Pen: Quad II amps, TAD-60 amp, TAD-150 pre
Old 04-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Metal Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldatlof
Very Nice Tele Console. I just picked this one up a few weeks ago. It is similar to yours but it doesn't have those cool side speakers. It's a Hymnus 5216Wk. It was in excellent shape and after I brought it up on a variac it sounded amazing . Pulls in stations really well and it all works. It came with a R2R too. I would like to do a preventive recap but can't figure out how to get it out of the cabinet. Please let me know if you figure it out. A very well made console.
Yours looks to be in better shape than mine. If you open the door below the receiver section there appears to be some bolts up through the chassis that need to be removed. I have not tried to take mine apart yet but have evaluated things a bit. Was the R2R part of the unit itself or an add on?

Last edited by macaltec; 04-09-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:34 PM
We are all steak

Quote:
Was the R2R part of the unit itself or an add on?
It was an add on. It is a Telefunken Magnetophon 97. The guy I got it from had the original shipping box and a D77 microphone for it. It's a potable R2R that has a built in speaker and a detachable speaker in its cover. It also came with a patch chord to connect it to the receiver.

Quote:
If you open the door below the receiver section there appears to be some bolts up through the chassis that need to be removed. I have not tried to take mine apart yet but have evaluated things a bit.
I see those bolts. It looks like the chassis is bolted to a peice of plywood and I was hoping to just slide the plywood shelf out the back but it didn't work. I think you're right and I am going to have to just unbolt the chassis from the plywood shelf.

Quote:
Yours looks to be in better shape than mine.
The guy I got it from said his step dad was in the military and sent it back from Germany. Then he never used it. All the doors and drawers were taped shut. All I really had to do was just remove the tape residue. Considering it age, it is in great shape. The finish on top and front is in such good shape its like a mirror. Even my wife loves it. Good luck with restoring yours.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Metal Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldatlof
It was an add on. It is a Telefunken Magnetophon 97. The guy I got it from had the original shipping box and a D77 microphone for it. It's a potable R2R that has a built in speaker and a detachable speaker in its cover. It also came with a patch chord to connect it to the receiver.

I see those bolts. It looks like the chassis is bolted to a peice of plywood and I was hoping to just slide the plywood shelf out the back but it didn't work. I think you're right and I am going to have to just unbolt the chassis from the plywood shelf.

The guy I got it from said his step dad was in the military and sent it back from Germany. Then he never used it. All the doors and drawers were taped shut. All I really had to do was just remove the tape residue. Considering it age, it is in great shape. The finish on top and front is in such good shape its like a mirror. Even my wife loves it. Good luck with restoring yours.
Lets see some pics of the R2R in place.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM
<----Zenith C845

That Telefunken console looks great, and with a bit of work (I don't know how much; you can probably find a replacement for that bum speaker if indeed it is defective [might just be disconnected], but the dial drive might be difficult to get working as some of those big German consoles had very complicated dial stringing arrangements), it should be working as well as it did when it was new. My late grandmother had a console stereo something like that which she bought at an estate sale in the early 1970s (not a Telefunken, although the entire unit appeared to have been made in Germany owing to the German markings on the back cover and front panel, in addition to European tube types, e. g. it had an EL84 vertical tuning eye tube and so on). I also got an old Grundig model 2168 hi-fi multiband radio from a friend of mine in the mid-1970s. That set was in bad shape (dial scale and drive mechanism missing, tuning eye flopping around in the cabinet, speaker mounting board broken, etc.) when I got it, but I managed to get it working for about five years. I even patched an old Webcor R2R tape recorder into the amplifier (through a DIN connector at the rear of the radio chassis) and wound up with a small, reasonably good-sounding (IMHO) mono audio system. Something (don't remember what) went wrong with the radio, however, eventually to cause me to trash it. This radio was also obviously made for the German market, as the FM band tuned only from 88 to around 100 MHz or so. My grandmother's console (the maufacturer and model name were Edelmuth Imperial respectively, IIRC), however, tuned the entire FM broadcast band from 88-108 MHz, so it may well have been an export model. It worked very well until about five years after her death, at which time it developed a very loud 60-Hz hum, probably due to defective filter caps. The tipoff to this set's German roots, again, was the fact that the shortwave tuning scales were marked 5,5 - 6,0 - etc., using a comma rather than a decimal point between the numerals. Odd, IMO, considering the set tuned the entire U. S. FM broadcast band. I realize they use commas rather than decimal points for decimal fractions in Europe, but since this console was obviously meant for the U. S. market, it seems strange that the dial would have been marked this way; the radio chassis had German tubes and markings as well.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma