Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Admiral Console

Hi - I'm new here.

I just found this:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/2936883509.html

and immediately signed up for membership. I'm going to see this set tonight after work, and wondered what to offer for it (if anything?)

It is in non-working condition, current owner says TV hums when he plugs it in and turns it on, but gets no picture. The turntable portion doesn't work.

I have no experience repairing electronics - only mechanics, and an appreciation of mid-century design.

We're remodeling our '56 basement into a rec room, and wanted an appropriate, period "entertainment" center.

Tina
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

wow, that would not be a good idea unless you know someone that can work on old TV's. 1st it should not be plugged in to test, even for a short time, as damage can result that is hard to fix. Second, you have no idea about the status of the CRT (picture tube) so if that is bad, it just gets more costly, lastly that era is FULL of paper caps that will need to be replaced, upping the cost in labor if you find someone willing to do the work. As far has how much to offer, those are hard to sell since the size and weight limits the market it can appeal to. If you are not going to learn to do the electronics work yourself (thereby keeping the resto cost down) then I would recommend a later era set, like a late 50's early 60's zenith, and not a combo but just a set.

Perhaps your post may find you a member here that has a working set that appeals to you.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Dave,

My dad ran a TV repair business in the late 60s/early 70s, so I know somebody! I was going to ask for any of his old electronics manuals to get started with. My goal would be to make this a family project, and learn along the way.

Thanks for the info about not plugging it in - yikes!!

Tina
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

oh well that is a different story, yes by all means it would make for a good learning project. My EE student (roll tide) use to help me test tubes she is doing very well.

You should be able to get it for a good price, like I said the demand tends to be low due to the weight and bulk making local buyers only.

Hope to see you back you will get a lot of help here