Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the coolest applications of D-VHS was this Dish Network satellite receiver with built in VCR. It recorded the actual MPEG-2 satellite feed so there was zero degregation in picture quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05478.jpg (51.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
One of the coolest applications of D-VHS was this Dish Network satellite receiver with built in VCR. It recorded the actual MPEG-2 satellite feed so there was zero degregation in picture quality.
Only problem with those is that they only seemed to have S-video and composite outputs so even if the stream was in HD there is no way I can see for it to play back in HD...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-05-2017, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a particular Sharp Aquos (sp?) TV that had 1394/firewire input, before the DRM standards guys got involved. I have the model number somewhere. It would take firewire playback straight out of a Mac (yup, they used to do that) and display it directly. Same with a 1394 out from D-VHS, supposedly. Never saw either device in person, but I knew people who had the monitor.

I had a 55" Hitachi plasma with 1394 input/output, but by then it had a protocol that prevented it from accessing straight computer drives/displays. Only "TV" type drives were valid. But with one of those drives, the TV would act as a DVR controller and record shows as scheduled from the guide info. Had potential to be neat, but no drive availability that I found.

Chip
Old 03-05-2017, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I appreciate everyone feedback on this one. So, for a guy who likes to watch a lot of pre-recorded VHS and do a bit of OTA recording, what are the best S-VHS machines? I tend to be a VCR hoarder, so I would like to get a couple of decks for later, and a really nice one for regular use. What would you get if it were your money?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic 1980. Like many older machines, they may require some maintenance, but they're worth fixing.

Edit controller available for condensing programs, etc.

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a couple of SVHS decks here but they are broken and probably beyond repair. I never had a DVHS deck.I know Hollywood did not like the DVHS along with the DVD recorders that follow later.We would had a rehash of the Betamax case.I keep my eyes open at the Goodwill for them.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Only problem with those is that they only seemed to have S-video and composite outputs so even if the stream was in HD there is no way I can see for it to play back in HD...
They predate HD. I think they launched this in 1999 iirc