Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Shaken, not stirred

eBay...magic?

Hi everyone,

I'm enjoying the discussion here...especially when there are pictures posted.

I've been slowly working on my table radio collection, which has transformed into a sub-Zenith radio collection, as those seem to have better sound and reception. Still, I managed to pick up (locally) an old Learadio with a lovely cabinet (after the refinish, and a lighted dial too!) plus a Philco, which came with a bunch of new tubes and parts...some of which are for other radios. I tried a few and improved a couple of my older sets. Now, all but one of them is working perfectly. Much more to learn tho-

I'd been searching, due in part to many of the posts I've read here, for two Zenith models in particular; a K731 and a K725, in burgundy bakelite. I saw, then bid last week on a lovely K731 (Early American style) after winning the bid on a Zenith K718 (?? That's what the seller told me it was, but I couldn't find that model in the archives) that came with a matching bedside table. It arrived yesterday, and when I pulled the set out of the box and flipped it over, it read K731! What? If I win the other, I'll have two, and decided to keep the one that works best and sell the other. No worries for as the auction progressed I was outbid by nearly $50.00! I paid $29.99 for my K731 with a matching table, and it works wonderfully. Some minor cosmetic issues, but I'm really happy. It's as good as my my favored Zenith G730.

Guess it pays to bid then stand pat. I love the K731's, but I don’t think they are worth $100 + shipping. In this case, losing was winning. Now, if we can just do something about those packing issues...

Question: Does anyone know if Zenith made any matching furniture/table for any of their sets? The table that came with my K731 certainly looks like a matching piece...even the wood trim is radiused on the front to match the skirting on the bottom of the radio. If not, this set certainly had a caring, dedicated owner at some point, and those are the radios I'm after anyway.

Here's the eBay pic of the K731 and table. Will post more later-
Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 PM

Welcome a board Nolan

What a sweet looking rig you happened to snag

Post a few pics of your new to you babies when you get a chance

And or your collection, pretty cool, even though I'm not an old radio collecter

The photo you posted may just move me in that direction at some point

Or at least I'll keep an eye out for them

Regards
Army

You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. F. Nietzsche
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Shaken, not stirred

It can get interesting Army. The radios I'm collecting aren't nearly as desirable (or valuable) as what many are finding, but that is part of the fun. I use them...I listen to them a lot, often while I'm doing other things. In fact, the Zenith G730 plays next to the bed while the wife and I sleep. She's gaining an interest too, and we are looking together for a really nice Zenith 'black dial' floor model to sit next to the other antiques we have in our living room and den. Don't know which one tho...but we'd rather find one locally, to skip the shipping hassles.

Next time I have the digital camera in the same room as the radios, I'll take a few pics. They look great all lined up next to each other!