Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Atari 2600 No Video (flickering when messing with AV)

My atari used to work perfectly fine, checking on it lately it doesn't show any picture on my TV. I have tried testing the capacitors and chips with a multimeter and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I have noticed that when I plug it in, the TV flickers. Also when I unplug the Video cable and tap only the tip to the Video plug on the Atari, it flickers continuously.

Here is a video of the flickering mentioned above. Note: the original flickering is just the 30 fps of the camera.

Any tips on how to restore the video back? Has anyone encountered something similar? A "no video" issue? Let me know.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:53 PM
M is for Memory

Perhaps the RCA RF cable is bad.

Another possible issue is if you're using one of those auto switching RF switch boxes to connect to the TV some of those won't work properly with older consoles...I had this issue with a switch box and my collecovision and drove my self mad trying to fix a working console till I swapped adapters. These days I don't even use switch boxes...My video game rack has an 80s Sony TV tuner/AV switcher with 2 antenna input jacks and my rack also has a VHS and a Beta VCR so the 3-4 consoles I have that ar RF only I use a female RCA to male F-Type adapter to plug those consoles directly into the different tuner jacks and switch the AV outputs of the tuner into the Blonder Tongue that serves as the master output of the rack.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-28-2023, 11:07 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I forgot if Atari 2600s used TV channels 3 and 4 for their RF outputs, or if this was the device that used channels 2 and 3. In either case, a few good tests include:

-Check if you have sound but no video from the machine (by starting a game even though you cannot see the video).

-If you have no video or sound, change the Atari to its other channel while it is on and check if you see or hear any difference on the TV set. Then, check the same new channel on the TV set that you selected on the game box.

-If I remember right, the RF output cable from the 2600 has an RCA male connector inside the game machine as well as at the other end. And, those cables were relatively low quality. Try some other RCA-to-RCA cable from the modulator inside the machine.

-As Electronic M mentioned, try a direct RF connection to your TV set using an RCA-to-F adapter on the Atari's RF output cable into your TV set, and also try it into a second TV set if you did not do so already.

Going back to 1979 when I bought my 2600, that same year I bought my first new TV set, which was a 19-inch Sony that had 300-ohm and 75-ohm VHF inputs, with a switch to choose between them. So, it essentially had a TV/Game switch built in, once I bought that RCA-to-F adapter (since my antenna used 300-ohm cable). It had a significantly better picture that way compared to using the old silver box with the long slide switch. The real picture and sound improvements came when I modified my 2600 (and later, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800) for line-level audio and composite video outputs.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M
Perhaps the RCA RF cable is bad.
Yea thats wht Im thinking... Hopefully its that easy!!