Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Victrola XI restoration

Trying my hand at something new, a friend gave me this Victrola XI that had a broken mainspring, and needed a lot of attention.

Bought a rebuilt mainspring off eBay, and as it turned out, the secondary spring motor was gummed up solid with old grease. Not looking forward to unleashing 30 feet of spring steel coated in axle grease, I decided to take the cover off the spring, scrape as much of the old grease out as I could, and soak the crap out of the spring with carb cleaner while inside the can.

This ended up mixing with the old grease, and "reactivating" it, to a degree, as it replenished the solvents within the grease that had probably dried up around the beginning of WWII. Well, at least it unstuck, and flowed around the spring once again

Rebuilding the reproducer was 15 minutes work and the parts were $12.95 including shipping. Here is the end result.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajB5v...ature=youtu.be

These things are VERY intelligently designed, and it's easy to see why this one's working after 100 years
Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Peanut Head

Very cool. I've done a few of them over the years. It's always nice to see one restored and working!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

That looks familiar! We have a XX VI from around 1919/20. It's the oak version. It plays ok, but probably needs servicing. Having that spring pop out and chopping my head off makes me kinda nervous though. Are there any videos out there on how to take one apart?

Last edited by ISawItOnTV; 10-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's one. It's a 6 part video showing the disassembly and cleaning of the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9i7zp-v9s
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Administrator

It's really easy to do. The construction is very well thought out, and the craftsmanship is beyond compare.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
Here's one. It's a 6 part video showing the disassembly and cleaning of the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9i7zp-v9s
That's very helpful Dangler, thanks. It explains the occasional weird noise mine makes. Hardened grease. I'll have to put that on my to do list.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 PM
electronics packrat

They are an absolute joy to work on, aren't they? Very straight-forward machines. Usually all they need is a good cleaning and re-greasing of the motor, and new gaskets in the reproducer.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one courtesy of my great aunt from about 1969 or so. She was moving out and my grandmother took me to her house to see what was going on. Aunt Elsie made me buy it for $5 which my grandmother had to front. Elsie was cheap. It worked from the gitgo and still does. I never wanted to work with the death spring. The record trays were still full of 78's. The orignal bill of sale was there from 1919 as was the salesmans card from the Jackson Talking Machine store in Rockford, IL. I had new governor springs made and re-made the reproducer gasket with house wire insulation. I replaced the hardened underside brake leather tip with a bit of leather cut from an old leather jacket. 50 years old when I got it. Now 94 years old. The Victor...not me.

Last edited by Dave A; 10-09-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36 View Post
They are an absolute joy to work on, aren't they? Very straight-forward machines. Usually all they need is a good cleaning and re-greasing of the motor, and new gaskets in the reproducer.
The only thing that confused me a bit about rebuilding the reproducer was that it came with a little silicone or white rubber dot. Any idea what that might have been for?