Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

New Member hello

Hi, I'm an old tube jockey who is getting back into electronics in my retirement. I'm working mostly on guitar amps and old AM radios, but I have a lot of experience from my days in the shop -'72 to '82. It was a small shop, but we did a lot of shop work, service calls, antenna installation and CATV troubleshooting. We also had RCA sales and warranty - back from the days when companies actually valued their distributors. I got out of the business when it was clear that we were shifting to an economy of sustained disposal rather than repair. I also worked a couple of years prior to the TV shop at a regional electronics wholesaler - Hurley Electronics/Hemco CRT rebuilding, for you in the San Diego-LA area.
I still remember a lot of hands-on repair - I was an ace mechanical tuner refurbisher, but I couldn't align an IF for the life of me today. Those brain cells must have been recycled for my physics class (I went to college after TV, got a chemistry degree). I also did a lot of mechanical refurb on turntables & tape decks. I'm looking forward to perusing your posts and helping the folks carry on the trade with the scraps I have left! Maybe trade a few service call stories!!!
Cheers, James
Old 06-29-2021, 06:24 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome ashore
Old 06-30-2021, 03:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome. I have loads of 1930's radios and enjoy them all. My next project is a Zenith 8S129 radio. I'm almost finished on a Zenith 5H40 TransOceanic almost completely converted to solid state. Most of my radios glow in the dark! Yes, I also have CRT-type televiewers.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:01 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Welcome!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome! With your experience, you might consider joining our sister forum www.audiokarma.org. Free like VK, you can even use your same screen name,etc. Plenty of tubeheads over on AK

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

i do like that BIG SPARK, my purpose for your sight and also audio karma would be for reference when selling audio and TV equipment.
my collecting is vintage radio and telegraph.
now i have 6 "roundie" sets to sell and was told this is the best sight to find buyers.
the last batch went on ebay and that did not work out very well.
matt
KB2LDC
Old 07-24-2021, 10:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by firco View Post
i do like that BIG SPARK, my purpose for your sight and also audio karma would be for reference when selling audio and TV equipment.
my collecting is vintage radio and telegraph.
now i have 6 "roundie" sets to sell and was told this is the best sight to find buyers.
the last batch went on ebay and that did not work out very well.
matt
KB2LDC
Definitely a good site, though I have had better luck selling on Facebook vintage TV marketplace.

Where are you located? If you are within reasonable driving distance of me and you have models that interest me we could do business.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-27-2021, 08:46 AM
Motorola Minion

Welcome to Video Karma James, anything shared about your work experience will be VERY much appreciated. Many members are noobs and need our experience to help solve issues for them. The rest of us are truly entertained by stories recalled.

I was working in the service business HS-Tech School-College years '79-'87, and was able to re-sell sets over 10 years old. Most were easy to sell during my college years.

I still do antenna work but nobody needs a CRT TV fixed. LCD TVs I refuse to do and have not had cable (except IT) since 1988 either

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 07-27-2021 at 08:51 AM.