Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's. ... The flat screens will never last for 20+ yrs. like some of the old CRT's.
Here is a hybrid of sorts, a CRT VGA monitor displaying 1080i.

There's a Samsung ATSC HDTV receiver box inside the cabinet, which has outputs that can drive VGA monitors directly.

The cabinet used to house an RCA CTC19, but its chassis and original CRT long gone.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I threw away a 27" Panasonic that I bought in 94 about seven years ago because it simply had no blue anymore. Just went out one day. I threw away a gas dryer that kept cycling on and off and my stove that wouldn't turn off. Now we have forums such as this and about.com to learn from, but how many people are mechanically inclined and actually do research? There are many people who prefer CRTs (I have never owned a flat screen,) but how long has it been since they were produced? Most thrift stores don't have them plugged in and showing an image, so it is a crap shoot as to whether the tube is tired or it has other issues. Unless it is something special I start with the screen size as a base dollar amount and then add or subtract for features. 25" = $25, only rf input - $10, full set of composite and component inputs + $10. Now a good Sony with dark case and little feets instead of a snail foot across the front must be looked up for tube type instead of an arbitrary amount based on dimensions. But most people are wary of buying someone elses old junk and have no interest in repairing something worth under a couple hundred dollars.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I keep looking for an original 1.7Mhz cordless phone... I WOULD LOVE HAVING ONE!! (I figure someone sometime might throw 1 of those out!! (Those got out excellent and sounded the best!! (Being analogue and all)))
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Been watching the Sony 40xbr800 for six months now no problems. Bet they can't say that about the flat panel that replaced it.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Scanning The Skies

Looking at some of the older USA TV's, they seem to be housed in pieces of furniture and I think they look really good. But I have to agree, the stuff that some folks throw away has ALWAYS amazed me!
Audiokarma
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

@Firebird

I got a free Sony KVXBR800 from a guy on craigslist The television needs some work o it . The picture will shut down and flash code 7 or the AKA 7 blinks .The set gets burly sometimes the color will look off and sometimes come back perfect and kick out again . Im told the MCZ3001d chips need replacing and from the looks of it I don't think they where changed . I may change the chips my self in the future . But the set is working . What problems did you have with that set You have the same set I own . Im running a blu ray player on this set and the picture will blow away a plasma set 10 to 1 .Let me know what you found wrong with your set so I can possibly fix mine too . I really like this set but the down fall is the set weights 300.00 lbs. I would have a tech fix it but getting quaffed service tech for Sony is costly . Laner television in south Milwaukee want 110.0 just for the service call and that's if they can fix it .
Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Scanning The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I keep looking for an original 1.7Mhz cordless phone... I WOULD LOVE HAVING ONE!! (I figure someone sometime might throw 1 of those out!! (Those got out excellent and sounded the best!! (Being analogue and all)))
HA! I had one these in the mid-90's (Southwestern Bell). Got it off some friends. But I made a little mod by where I took the long wire and helically wound it around a piece of wood dowl about 2 and half foot long. Put that in an old Christmas tree stand and I have to say reception was brilliant. I used to speak to my then girlfriend (now wife) and listen to her on my old GEC McMichael valve radio!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Those things got out like crazy!!!!! (Wouldnt mind having one )
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tried replacing chips(MCZ3001d). Soldering iron was too large. Did some damage to board. If you are going to try get a micro soldering iron. I eventually gave up and bought a rebuilt board. It has played night and day since. I do not understand how they damaged it unless they watched it none stop for eight years.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey i made page 2 again!
Audiokarma
Old 05-03-2014, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did they quit throwing things away yet?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Better that stuff gets thrown away than donated to thrift stores whose higher-ups will pocket most of the proceeds from selling the stuff. Also, they will throw out good TVs without trying to sell them and put out the late-model BPC that are even less likely to sell.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

I am NEVER an advocate of throwing away things that work. I will try everything to re-home functional equipment, though I learned very quickly (before any casualties, thankfully!) that giving away free TVs on Craigslist is a huge no-no!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why Craigslist?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Why Craigslist?
What specifically are you asking? I don't give TVs away for free anywhere anymore because scrappers take working sets and destroy them.