Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anybody been in a real convoy?

I have been waitin my whole life to be in one and i finally got my powerful motorola cb built into my lincoln mark v. I will be learning cw mccall lyrics to sound like i know what i am doing. Thats a big 10 4 good buddy!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I think ol' CW only did one song about "convoys"... should be easy enough!

btw this CD has an excellent sounding version of Convoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mccall-realCD.jpg (72.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Technohippie

C.W. McCall did a sequel to "Convoy" called "Around the World with the Rubber Duck"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEyQlpSqB0
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Right you are! I have that on another compilation CD of his, the first one I bought. That one though has a lousy sounding version of Convoy. The American Gramophone version sound quality is excellent. It may be a re-do though of the original.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been to the old American Gramophone recording studio. I have their original business Commodore 128 computer.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5pro View Post
I have been waitin my whole life to be in one and i finally got my powerful motorola cb built into my lincoln mark v. I will be learning cw mccall lyrics to sound like i know what i am doing. Thats a big 10 4 good buddy!
Does a Funeral Procession count, then yes.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

A CB, awesome! Breaker one-nine, breaker one nine, this is Christmas Carol. Christmas Carol, this is Schultzy, come back to me, over.

Back when I was in high school I read part of a book with trucker lingo and have been referring to corded telephones as "landlines" ever since (actually I don't remember any students having a cell phone then, many ended up with the Facebook disease though) and have been referring to fog as "ground clouds". One time I heard "landline" used by someone on the other end of a bus radio.

I've been part of a convoy of sorts a few times, one of which was going to a campsite in our junky K-car-based Dodge along with a couple of early-80s Malibus and an older fox-chassis Mustang. Most of the other convoys were too upscale for me to care to mention. Well, there was that grade 7 trip in a nicer K-car, that was okay other than being cramped.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 PM
M is for Memory

I've never been in a convoy with semis, but I've traveled in tandem with other cars/SUVs many times (especially on the highway). Both as a passenger and a driver....Last spring on the way to the ETF I was following Wiscojim in my Lincoln Mark V for a good portion of the Indiana leg of the trip.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Doin' it to it like Pruitt used to do it.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pig pen this here's rubber duck, i'm puttin the hammer down

And them bears is wall to wall. They even got a bear in the air.
I got ghe proper lingo ready. Now i gotta figure out how to drive my mark v like burt reynolds in his trans am. Glad i got the 460 4v. Recently, I accidently drove 50mph over an unoticeble triple road dip. Both front and rear bottomed completely twice and felt like i came up off the road as i held on tight the poor guy to my right looked at me very concerned, maybe even thought i was a lunatic about to sideswipe his ittybitty suv.
I should probably trade my palm beach plates for an alabama or north carolina tag to be real about this.
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

I've got the real "Real McCoy" when it comes to albums with trucker songs on them, I have an 8-Track Tape of the album "Teddy Bear's Last Ride" from 1976 which was a compilation album of old Trucker Songs done by the group Country Road and the other album which I can't recall its title (and also currently can't find the album either) which was also a compilation album from 1970s on LP of old Trucker songs.

Believe me I know my fair share of trucker lingo as well, in fact I've always called wired telephones "landlines" and I've also known about CB Radios and even the fist-pump in the air when you drive by a semi to get the trucker to honk his horn for you, and other trucker related stuff.

In fact my uncle is a truck driver full time for Estes Transportation Services and I know quite a lot about Trucker related stuff because of that as well.
The only thing I don't like about truckers these days is that they seem to of lost their respectability, because I've have quite a few run-ins with semi drivers since I've started driving about 6 years ago that made me think very poorly of Truck Drivers.

An incident a couple of days ago when I was going to class at my local community college I go to, and the main drag road that goes between Elkhart, Indiana where I live and Warsaw, Indiana (where I have some relatives at) CR 17 has a merge lane that you turn onto from the county road I live off of which is CR 10, anyways I had a truck driver next to me who had me more or less boxed in and I was trying to get up enough speed before the merge lane ended so I could get in front of him and he wasn't letting me in.
So finally the merge lane was just feet from ending and I finally got just enough ahead of him to get out of the merge lane and pulled in in front of him so I was on the main road, and the jerk blares his horn at me like I did something wrong even though I was trying to get onto the road out of the merge lane like I was supposed to and he wasn't letting me in so I had to take the opportunity I had at the moment or else there would of been an accident.

Anyways before I started driving I actually thought Truckers were really cool especially when I hear all of those old Trucker Songs that told stories of the old truckers risking their lives to do something like save a bus load of kids on an old moutain pass road (the song Teddy Bear's Last Ride) or paying for a person's coffee who couldn't afford a cup (The song Little Joe) etc.
But now after all of the issues I've had with some of these "modern" truck drivers since I've started driving I've lost almost all respect for truck drivers (except for my uncle).

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

No I haven't but love C.W McCall's tune Convoy and his other country hits and the Kris Kristofferson movie with the same name.Also enjoy Chip Davis's work with Mannheim Steamroller too.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a trucker cut me off caused a serious accident

I know he would blame me but i didn't get a ticket. Early 90's i was drivin a perfect mark vii lsc with new 16" goodyears. Hiway 75 in fla, 2 lanes going to one approaching the little overpass type bridge. I floored it, i mean i had the pedal to the metal but for that plush carpeting. I am in passin lane with enough space to go by orange cones and respectfully go infront of him on to work that day. I totally forgot if such a truck is empty with a jealous driver puttin his pedal to the metal i was at grave risk. I drove it like a pro driver but ran over cones while gettin in front of him to avoid some big yellow machine thing and the mark vii spun out and he hit me head on off center ramming me into the gaurd rail. His front passenger wheel shoved back at least 2 feet. Disabled his truck but he got back at me real real good fer sure fer sure good buddy. That 86 mark vii protected me without air bags and i walked away to get a lincoln town car. I wonder how the rest of that ass's day went. Frankly, i don't give a dam.