Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early '50's Webcor "Holiday" Fonograf

This is the early '50's Webcor record player that I've been waiting so long to get. It has a 3 tube amp (35W4, 12AV6, and 50C5) and plays 33, 45, and 78 rpm. The cabinet is in above average condition and the amp and changer need an overhaul. I don't think I've ever worked on one of these Webcor changers before and I've heard they can be a bear to service. It has the original cartridge; which, I will probably replace with a current production Pfanstiehl P228. Anyway, it should make a nice player for my older 45's, 78's, and mono LP's.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 AM
M is for Memory

That is a nice one!

I just reciently got a higher end model with a similar changer and a much better amp chassis. I can post photos later if you want to see my webcor.

I sort of have a collection of webcor gear going so I couldn't pass it up when I saw it.

Tom C.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, please post a picture. I'd like to see it.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice Webcor. I have a mahogany wooden case Webcor that needs refinishing. This was in the electronics section of a consignment auction and they were sitting modern car radios and other junk on top of this poor Webcor and sliding it it on and off. As a result it needs refinishing. the top and font top are badly scratched up.

I got it at the miniimum bid of $2 as no one had any interest in something that old there. They just wanted the modern junk.

The rest of the case is nice and the insides are real clean.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
M is for Memory

Here are the photos of my unit. It sounds awesome with an external input, but mediocre with the stock cartrige in it. I'm thinking of having the cartrige rebuilt.

I'm thinking of starting a webcor/webster chicago thread to post these pictures and the ones of my other W/C gear in.

Tom C.
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a good one that uses the GE variable reluctance magnetic cartridge. I have the wooden table model version of that unit, waiting on my attention.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That's a good one that uses the GE variable reluctance magnetic cartridge. I have the wooden table model version of that unit, waiting on my attention.
I wonder if your table model is the same as mine. It uses the variable reluctance cartridge also and it says Misicale inside the lid with the side firing speakers just like Electronic M's unit.My tonearm is the same color as the base though a brownish color,not black. I'll try to get pictures as awful as the poor thing's lid looks it's very clean inside.

I do have that nasty knob mold to deal with on mine.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
M is for Memory

Windex (especially the version with ammonia) works wonders on the fungus that likes to form on Webcor knobs.

Tom C.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, yours sounds like mine. Mine has seperate bass and treble controls. Some versions only had a tone control.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Check out that "Military" type 6X5 in there. There shouldn't be any trouble with that tube.
Audiokarma
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Check out that "Military" type 6X5 in there. There shouldn't be any trouble with that tube.
What is the difference between that 6X5 and the ones used in 1930s Zenith radios, the 6X5s that had a nasty habit of shorting and taking out the power transformer in an instant? I couldn't see any military designations on the 6X5 in this phonograph.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Push-pull 6V6's, power transformer, three speakers: a cut above for a table model.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
What is the difference between that 6X5 and the ones used in 1930s Zenith radios, the 6X5s that had a nasty habit of shorting and taking out the power transformer in an instant? I couldn't see any military designations on the 6X5 in this phonograph.
I have a couple of "survivor" Zenith 6X5G's and the build quality looks horrible on them with loose/tilted mica insulators and flimsy appearence. I wouldn't use them in anything!

The "X Plate" shape (like a 6X4) are the better of the designs over the flat plate versions but any newer version over those old Zenith marked ones is a step up!