Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

Info on HDMI cables?

I am considering getting an HDMI cable to connect between my flat-screen TV and my DVD player, but at the same time I wonder how much improvement I can expect, compared to connections using standard RF cables, as far as picture quality is concerned. I presently use an RF modulator set to channel 4 to convert the video output from the DVD so the TV can use it. The reason I set it up this way, rather than using an HDMI cable right from the start, is that I was very eager to get my new FP TV working; all I did was connect the RF output cable from the modulator to the RF antenna port of the TV. It worked, so I've just left it alone the four months or so I've had the FP set.

Also, is is possible to use an HDMI cable with a VCR? I have an old (2002 model) Panasonic VCR which I would also like to connect directly to my TV, although since the remote that came with my flat-screen TV is not a universal one, I'm thinking I will have to use two remotes to operate all functions of both devices if I decided to use the direct video inputs (there's a jack panel with six RCA pin jacks, rather than the RF antenna port, to connect them to the set). Crying out loud, this is why I use a universal remote (One For All model URC4041) with my entertainment system -- to keep from cluttering the small table near my easy chair with several different remotes! I am currently using the "aux" function button on the OFA remote to control the VCR, and the remote only has four input selection buttons, so I could not set any of those buttons to control any other device at this time. There is also a button marked Cable/Sat, for use with a cable box or satellite receiver, but I don't think it is possible to remap that button to a video input, as there is no mention of such a procedure in the remote's instruction manual. Actually, there is a procedure outlined in the manual to reassign device keys (which I used to set the AUX key on my remote to operate my VCR, when I first set up the remote), and another procedure to reset certain function buttons to operate certain other functions, but since everything seems to be working well now I don't want to mess things up if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

You should get a huge improvement, if your DVD player has an HDMI connector but isn't Bluray then I assume it will upconvert the content to 1080i though it's not true 1080.

Another way to improve it is to hook it up to the Component outputs of the DVD player, this will give you full 480i resolution. These are the Green, Blue and Red video connectors on the TV and DVD player, you will still have to hook up the Red and White Audio connectors to get sound, with HDMI that's built in.

For the absolute best picture a Bluray player is the ticket.
It is another big jump from standard DVD.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
You should get a huge improvement, if your DVD player has an HDMI connector but isn't Bluray then I assume it will upconvert the content to 1080i though it's not true 1080.

Another way to improve it is to hook it up to the Component outputs of the DVD player, this will give you full 480i resolution. These are the Green, Blue and Red video connectors on the TV and DVD player, you will still have to hook up the Red and White Audio connectors to get sound, with HDMI that's built in.

For the absolute best picture a Bluray player is the ticket.
It is another big jump from standard DVD.
+1 -- HDMI (if your DVD has it) or component will be much better than NTSC RF.

Your VCR probably only has NTSC composite, or maybe S-video, which would be a slight improvement (and only if your TV has S-video in).
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI cables are getting more affordable, I've even seem them in the various Dollar Store chains (Fred's, Dollar General). Way back several years ago, I bought one on clearence because at that time the HDMI cables weren't popular. If your DVD player will "upscale", there will be an improvement. In fact, going from RF out (via a modulator) to just component will be an improvement. The biggest draw of the HDMI connections is video and audio with one cable.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Jeff, since you have an HDTV, you should see a definite improvement with the HDMI hookup, even with a DVD player (as opposed to Blu-ray). With a VCR (or more likely a DVD/VCR combo, since no stand-alone video-tape-only device has ever had an HDMI connection except the few HD ones), you will not likely see much improvement.

Buy the cheapest HDMI cables you can find, they will work fine. Plenty of online sellers have them for $2 each or so; Monoprice is a good dealer.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma