Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

A PSIP Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Here’s a bit of a PSIP frame oddity. (I know… very bad pun!) At my QTH in Virginia, I receive most of the D.C. market TV stations. I have two Haier portables (one for traveling), two Vizio ATSC converters (one for traveling), and an antique Sony 34XBR960 receiver. My antenna on the Sony and the Vizio is a two-bay bowtie aimed at 4010 Chesapeake Street N.W. in D.C. (for the comparatively QRPp signals of WJLA and WUSA) while the Haier’s are strictly on the factory bunny-ear.

On channel 34 (Virtual 66 –WPXW, also at 4010 Chesapeake (the old WUSA “transition” facility)) both of the Haier’s provide PSIP stream identifications that neither the Sony nor the Vizio receivers provide:

66-100 Airbox
66-101 Starz
66-200 NFL
66-201 RedZone
66-209 GolTV
66-300 TeleFor
66-301 TeleMex
66-302 Pasions

Of course, I get “Failed to Receive Broadcast” whenever I “tune” to these.

Any idea as to what’s going on here? Or, is this another example of why we should’ve gone COFDM?

Thanks,
John
W3XWT/4
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps encrypted premium feeds? This wiki article says the channel is doing that as well as a Mobile/Handheld stream... but does not indicate the same programming sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPXW-TV

jr
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

Unreal... and interesting! What gets me is that if the programming is transmitted at 3.68 mb/s, wouldn't the PSIP frame also be transmitted at the same rate? Since I'm decoding that frame, it must also be running at 19.2 mb/s.

Maybe my next smartphone will be able to receive these signals!