Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Exclamation HELP! Zenith Degaussing shield!

I moved my Zenith Chromacolor today, and since I did not have very much help, I had to remove the picture tube to lift it. Now, it's in its new home, and I CANNOT get the degaussing shield to go back on correctly. When I took the bolts out, I heard a POP and the degaussing shield shifted, and I can't get it to go back anywhere correctly.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I'm making slow progress - I got two corners (bottom left and top right from the photo's perspective) but now, the shield hardly moves at all. I can't get it to reach the other two corners.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
M is for Memory

Do you see the straps on the sides of the shield? Unscrew the straps from each other and the shied will unwrap it's self from the CRT. Lift CRT from the shield. The proper installation order is to put the shield in the cabinet, bolt the shield corners down, set the CRT in the shield from the rear, fold the shield around the CRT and tighten the side straps of the shield.

Hope that makes sense.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Do you see the straps on the sides of the shield? Unscrew the straps from each other and the shied will unwrap it's self from the CRT. Lift CRT from the shield. The proper installation order is to put the shield in the cabinet, bolt the shield corners down, set the CRT in the shield from the rear, fold the shield around the CRT and tighten the side straps of the shield.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks, Electronic M. I think I understand what you're saying. If I unbolt the straps, the shield will unfold, then bolt the shield down at the corners. Then stick the CRT in from behind the bolted down shield? Then bolt the straps? Sounds like it would work. I'll try that tomorrow evening as I don't have access to the TV right now.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
M is for Memory

Yup. I remember being annoyed in the process of learning that method by my own guess work a few years back...It's clever and works well, once you know how to deal with it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 06-04-2016, 05:52 PM
TheUniversalDave1

OK - I got the degaussing shield bolted down and the straps unbolted. I have the pieces of the shield restrained with some thin wire to hold them back, but the CRT is too fat to go in! I don't want to force it. Should I?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Good News! I found out what the problem was. The degaussing coil itself was in the way. I moved it and the CRT fell into position perfectly. All I have to do now is align it. I sure am glad I watched all those alignment videos on Youtube. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle it. Now that I have that spiffy Sencore NTSC generator, alignment should be a breeze compared to this tube fiasco.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Next time wait until a friend can help you move it
Old 06-05-2016, 09:14 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Nobody ever helps me with anything. I have to do everything by myself. I couldn't even get my mother to come LOOK at the set.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.