Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I have a little TINY Westinghouse LCD...maybe 12 inches. I got it like four years ago at Costco because it was like a hundred bucks. It had so MANY little inputs as well as being an "okay" TV set. I love all it's inputs and use it for ANYTHING I need a monitor for on a workbench....VCRs, DVDs...computers both VGA and HDMI..or even S-video. As a TV set, it is stereo...and seems to handle all the ratios pretty well. It's sorta like a miniature version of my big 37" Viewsonic LCD.

It's seen VERY light duty in the last four years, but appears to still be doing quite well for what it is. It's thick enough that I'm pretty sure it's got flourescent backlighting. It HAS stood up to at least some mild abuse. I've wound cables all around it and thrown it in the back seat of one of the cars COUNTLESS times to go use it as a monitor for something or other at a friend's house. At this point...I guess I'd miss it if I did something bad to it. I would never set it up anywhere and really watch TV on it though. Not even in the kitchen where I like my 12" GE b/w set.

Last edited by AiboPet; 08-24-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
My parents bought a 37" "Westinghouse" LCD HDTV back in 2006, since they had good reviews at the time. They paid around $1800 for it back then.
That might be the LVM-37W3, one of the first 1080P sets. I lusted after those, and came near to driving three hours to the only store in northern California that had them on sale for "only" $800 in early 2007.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

A local shop I do some side work for has over 50 abandon flatscreens laying around. Not worth the money to fix, customer decided to buy a new one.

So theres a few more dumpsters full.

In the old days if a customer abandon a crt set you could almost always fix it and sell it for $50. Now a shop wont even take the risk of putting a $200 board in a flatscreen because they cant filp it.
The broke, indebted public is so brainwashed and set that new is the only way to go. (just put it on the credit card and add it to the typical household 10k$ in debt)

E-Waste in : E-Waste out
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

So glad I bought a new Toshiba 36" CRT TV it will be eight years ago next month. Still works like new and is on many hours daily.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I seem to have good luck w/ the dumpster finds. Two of my sets (37" Akai and 32" Polaroid) worked w/ no issues. A big heavy 2003 Toshiba plasma that would sometimes power up, sometimes not a neighbor bought. Found 3-4 others that were dead and sold them online for screens/parts. TV's for nothing that make me a little bit $$ are alright by me.
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
The broke, indebted public is so brainwashed and set that new is the only way to go. (just put it on the credit card and add it to the typical household 10k$ in debt)
When I walk around my small town at dusk when it's dark enough to see the TV's in action in the homes, I'm amazed to see huge flatscreens in just about every home, including the very modest (to put it politely) homes. I shake my head and wonder if I'm the ONLY person still watching a CRT TV in this town. I've also noticed a huge number of 32" LCD TV's for sale on Craig's List. Seems everyone bought into the LCD fad with the smaller sets, and as soon as a bigger size is put on the market, they gotta trade up, to keep up with the neighbors. Did I see the other day, Sharp has come out with a 90" LED for around $10K?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM
<----Zenith C845

I see the same thing in my small town near Cleveland. Flat screens have become so inexpensive these days (the smaller sizes, anyway) that just about anyone can afford at least one without breaking the bank. What you are probably seeing in your town are very large HDTVs, with Internet connectivity and all, that do still cost an arm and a leg. I pass by a house in my town during my evening walks that has a very large flat screen right where anyone can see it from the living room window; sometimes I wonder if they worry someone might see it and try to steal it when they are away. I'm sure that set must have set them back at least $1k; if so, I would think they would have found a less conspicuous spot for it, where it would not be visible from the street.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
"micro" and quirky

Was just noticing this last weekend (seems ads for TV sets get REAL popular during Labor Day weekend)....I guess now a 55" LED "thin" set like the Sammy I paid like $2500 for three years ago.....can be had for well under a thousand now. Mine isn't even a "Smart TV". I got it maybe just ONE model or two before the 3D sets...and it was probably the last generation of the Samsungs using those Yahoo "Widget" things that were abandoned almost immediately.

I was just surprised that a considerable "upgrade" to my 55" Sammy would actually cost like $1500 LESS than I got mine for during a Memorial Day sale in 2009. That is just VERY odd....and reminds me of the same thing with laptop computers. I'll likely replace the $2500 Sammy in a couple years when something goes pearshaped on it.....with a $500-$1000 set, AND it will likely be a HUGE feature upgrade at that. That logic alone will make some "electronic recycling" place or some tech friend "gather" another 55" LCD set WELL before I would have gotten rid of any CRT set. I'm not gonna spend a couple hundred to correct a problem on the Sammy....and then I don't want to put a 55" set in a bedroom. It's much harder to find a "secondary" location for such a big set, especially in a smaller flat. I did repurpose the 37" Viewsonic as a Microsoft FlightSim monitor....and even THAT is ridiculous looking sitting on a computer desk.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-04-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Maybe there are only 23 or 24 TV manufacturers IN the world!

Also, that reminds me of a song... "Seymour, the 142nd fastest gun in the west".
That wasn't Seymour, it was Irving, From the Bar-Mitzva spread. He always followed his mother's wishes. Even on the range, he used two sets of dishes.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
When I walk around my small town at dusk when it's dark enough to see the TV's in action in the homes, I'm amazed to see huge flatscreens in just about every home, including the very modest (to put it politely) homes. I shake my head and wonder if I'm the ONLY person still watching a CRT TV in this town. I've also noticed a huge number of 32" LCD TV's for sale on Craig's List. Seems everyone bought into the LCD fad with the smaller sets, and as soon as a bigger size is put on the market, they gotta trade up, to keep up with the neighbors. Did I see the other day, Sharp has come out with a 90" LED for around $10K?
According to the local newspaper police blotter, Flatscreens make it easy for lazy criminals to fence your TV again.

The only flatscreens at my house are the two PC monitors. A few of the neighbor-farmers are using 80's-90s sets w/DTV boxes, since I put antennas in their attic. Just one thing they donot need to spend $$ on.
Some neighbors are Amish and care even less for TV, but they are into wireless "phones" anyway L-O- freakin' L
Audiokarma
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Doncha remember the 1970 song "Welfare Cadilac" ?!? When the ginormous "Big Dish" satellite receivers were all the rage, EVERY single & double wide trailer in Tennessee had at least ONE of 'em close to it...Right next to the loaded 4X4 pick'em up w/the huge 40" tires & lift kit from Fred's House of Really Big & Stupid Tarrs, of course...(grin)

Last edited by Sandy G; 09-04-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Was just noticing this last weekend (seems ads for TV sets get REAL popular during Labor Day weekend)....I guess now a 55" LED "thin" set like the Sammy I paid like $2500 for three years ago.....can be had for well under a thousand now. Mine isn't even a "Smart TV". I got it maybe just ONE model or two before the 3D sets...and it was probably the last generation of the Samsungs using those Yahoo "Widget" things that were abandoned almost immediately.

I was just surprised that a considerable "upgrade" to my 55" Sammy would actually cost like $1500 LESS than I got mine for during a Memorial Day sale in 2009. That is just VERY odd....and reminds me of the same thing with laptop computers. I'll likely replace the $2500 Sammy in a couple years when something goes pearshaped on it.....with a $500-$1000 set, AND it will likely be a HUGE feature upgrade at that. That logic alone will make some "electronic recycling" place or some tech friend "gather" another 55" LCD set WELL before I would have gotten rid of any CRT set. I'm not gonna spend a couple hundred to correct a problem on the Sammy....and then I don't want to put a 55" set in a bedroom. It's much harder to find a "secondary" location for such a big set, especially in a smaller flat. I did repurpose the 37" Viewsonic as a Microsoft FlightSim monitor....and even THAT is ridiculous looking sitting on a computer desk.
Have you considered mounting the Samsung above your bed in the bed room?....If you can't find a wall then the celing is always an option....

Never heard the phrase Pearshaped as a synonym for broken before.....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
"micro" and quirky

Pearshaped......Since I speak cantonese AND "HK English" which is a mix of slang/canto and British. I grew up hearing "pearshaped" to sorta mean "not round anymore"...and NO...I would not EVER want an LCD set mounted on a cieling, especially in a rented flat. The whole point in not wanting a BIG TV in the bedroom is that I SLEEP in there....and have no interest in much more than turning the "sleep timer" on with something insipid I'm not really watching (Southpark, Futurama,TBBT,etc). I have a little 23" Sammy in the room that serves that just fine. Also have a little TINY 7" "Auvio" mounted just at the top of the headboard cabinet if I REALLY don't even wanna turn on the 23". THAT one is mounted "facing down" and would be if I feel like looking up at a TV (very rarely).

I don't really watch the "collection" TV sets in the bedroom....because I have them ALL on one channel (my transmitter), and they ALL come on with a push of an X10 controller (At last count...37 sets...all at once...just for fun)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM
NA Volvos and Amplifiers

I just parted out an RCA 47 incher I was given. Once I took it apart to fix it all hell broke loose with it. I suspect the BGA chips were coming loose. Had a decent picture before I poked it.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Pearshaped......Since I speak cantonese AND "HK English" which is a mix of slang/canto and British. I grew up hearing "pearshaped" to sorta mean "not round anymore"...and NO...I would not EVER want an LCD set mounted on a cieling, especially in a rented flat. The whole point in not wanting a BIG TV in the bedroom is that I SLEEP in there....and have no interest in much more than turning the "sleep timer" on with something insipid I'm not really watching (Southpark, Futurama,TBBT,etc). I have a little 23" Sammy in the room that serves that just fine. Also have a little TINY 7" "Auvio" mounted just at the top of the headboard cabinet if I REALLY don't even wanna turn on the 23". THAT one is mounted "facing down" and would be if I feel like looking up at a TV (very rarely).

I don't really watch the "collection" TV sets in the bedroom....because I have them ALL on one channel (my transmitter), and they ALL come on with a push of an X10 controller (At last count...37 sets...all at once...just for fun)
It's gotta be tough to learn two languages.... I actually saw a smaller(like 17-27") FP set mounted over someone bed on a frame on it's canopy at a open house once...it seemed like an interesting idea to me.

TV in my bed room seems natural to me. I keep most of my good stuff in my bed room, spend much of my free time there, and watch nearly all of my TV there so that my folks won't bug me about not liking what I'm watching, wanting to change the channel, etc.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma