Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

AMOLED Screens

I find these type of screens interesting. My portable gaming system the GP2X Wiz uses an AMOLED screen. These were sold a few years ago, and most of them have died to do "pixel plague" because the organic material, got bacteria eating the screen away to nothing. Ugh.

But mine has NEVER had this behavior, and still works fantastic. Mind you, I'm a CRT fan, I feel CRT's are the best when it comes to color purity and black levels, and I still feel LCD's can not touch them.

But the AMOLED on this little game system has some very serious color quality, and a black levels. This is a rather interesting technology, and probably the only competitor to CRT, in my opinion.

The system:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_1467.jpg

The closeup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_1464.jpg

That is some very saturated colors there! Now of course, maybe TOO saturated, but in person, this is a very nice and pleasing picture.

There's only one problem with it's screen though, it can't do blue. It's blues have a very indigo look to them.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

The blue issue may be related to the fact that most AMOLED displays use the PenTile sub pixel arrangement. My smartphone has a Super AMOLED Plus display with a standard RGB subpixel arrangement and does blues without a problem. The blacks and saturation are excellent compared to standard LCDs. Can't wait til it scales up to TV sized panels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GP2X Wiz screen problems are from a manufacturing defect. The screens have proven robust in smartphone applications thus far.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

As per the closeup shot, this AMOLED screen is a standard layout, though rotated 90 degrees, because it's actually a portrait screen mounted sideways.

Otherwise mine looks great.

The issues many were having with their screens were this: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...p/page__st__60

Mine has never shown this, nor even appeared like it may have this issue. And mine is older than most of theirs.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I really hope to see progress on "regular" (inorganic) LEDs as direct display panel elements soon. OLEDs seem to me to be a big step backward in longevity and robustness compared to LCDs, though they do have the viewing-angle or other advantages. One look at a cell phone with "image retention"/burn was enough to turn me off of that technology.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Recent article in Broadcast Engineering...

"OLED displays, expected to make their presence felt in the consumer television market this year, are only likely to make their appearance in 2012 in small volumes, according to a new report for NPD DisplaySearch.

The report, “Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report,” reveals that for the year at least 500 OLED TVs will ship, a tiny quantity in comparison to the total TV market. Despite the limited number, shipment of OLED sets will be regarded as an important breakthrough, the display market authority said.

OLED TV demonstrations at the 2012 International CES in January marketed the dramatic coming out for the technology with 55in OLED TVs turning heads. The TVs were expected to be shipping for some viewers to enjoy the 2012 London Games in August, NPD DisplaySearch said. However, challenges with the mass production of OLED TVs and an anticipated high price threw into question whether or not the technology would be commercialized this year.

“If we do see OLED TVs hit the market within 2012, the shipments will be used primarily for retail demonstrations in developed regions like North America and Europe,” said NPD DisplaySearch VP David Hsieh. “4K x 2K LCD TVs have has become a focus and are currently available, and OLED TV needs to demonstrate its technical superiority.”

As LG and Samsung increase production yields and panel makers in Taiwan, China and Japan support manufacturing of AMOLED TV panels in 2014, shipments will pass 1 million units. By 2016, DisplaySearch forecasts OLED penetration of the TV market will exceed 3 percent.

In the meantime, several technical and marketing channels remain, NPD DisplaySearch said."
Audiokarma
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
OLED displays look great when they're new, but most of the OLED phones I've seen develop burn in, or severe color problems within a year, or two.
So far this portable game systems OLED screen is two years old, and seems to still be going ok. I have a Nokia N8 cell phone too, but I quit using that, because it had poor grey scale though, it was "grainy".

So there are definitely different behaviors I've seen between two AMOLED screens.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have six OLED Sony 7" monitors at my ballpark for my six cameras. I am not a fan of this monitor version of OLED. The color is spectacular but the robustness of the pix is low and deceiving to a camera shader (me on game days). Video ops are so used to bright screens and these are low and dull. I usually shade by eye and go to the scope for confirmation. I go for a good look on the players face and let the white uniforms go hot. But the OLED monitor has trouble with shades of fleshtones. Usually too hot. These low brilliance displays throw me every time trying to get a bright pix and blowing things out as a result. And I did tell this to Sony.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've never tried to load flesh tones on this AMOLED screen. Let me get a pic if it loading a photo of something "real" and not a 16-bit video game.