Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV Doesn't Turn Off

My BPC '94 Panasonic has a strange issue. Pressing the power button on the remote or the set will usually cause the set to turn off. Other times it will click and the sound will turn off, but the picture will stay on. Pressing the power button again will cause another click and the image to fade in and out slightly, and the sound returns. Repeating this multiple times will eventually turn the set off.

This problem first surfaced back in '04 or '05, but a shop repaired it. Today I tried to turn off the set and it's back.

Is this fixable?

Thank you all.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like a sticky power relay to me. Next time it doesn't turn off tap the relay with a stick. It will probably turn off. If you don't have the TV open, you could try hitting the set with your hand, or pick up a corner and drop it an inch or so onto the table. Same deal....if that makes it turn off, replace the relay.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I have a similar problem with my SONY tuner.... Didnt start until I took her off where she is and put her on her side!!! -- Now the relay keeps going off (audio dissapears) and I have to tap the unit to get it back on (Started a few months ago)

Good luck to you Outland!!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you Dude111.

Geoff, if it is a bad power relay, I assume new parts are unobtanium. Can a relay be cleaned? I couldn't find much information about this online.

I couldn't do the tap test today because it worked just fine. Go figure. When the problem first surfaced, it too happened rarely, then more often until it wouldn't turn off at all anymore, so I guess I have some time.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

You should be able to substitute with another off the shelf relay if necessary.
Audiokarma
Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland
Thank you Dude111.
Your welcome

I discovered what the problem was in my Sony...... One of the relay controllers for SPEAKER B was indeed loose on the board!! (I only use B) -- I took a rubber band and put it around both units in there (A/B) and it seems to be working fine...... (I did order another sony though as this one is almost on its last legs and I dont wanna lose this model,I love it! -- STR DE-185
Old 02-14-2016, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
Can a relay be cleaned? I couldn't find much information about this online.
I've done it before. As long as the housing isn't sealed, you can pop it off and clean the contacts (or even bend them a little if they're not springy enough). But after I did so, the relay had to be cleaned again not more than a year later, and it was harder to get back into shape the second time around.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 AM
Analogue is Awesome

My sony is still having issues..... Even with the control rubber banded down on the board she still goes into protect mode,etc........ I did order another DE-185 the other day...... Its really sad...... I DONT KNOW HOW THE CONTROL GOT LOOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

I didnt slam it down on its side!!!! -- I was very gental (I was cleaning where she sits)

Maybe the heat from it being on so long loosend it? (With the vents covered maybe (I have my tape deck on top of it (The only air vents that get let air in are on the side)))

I hope thats not it but could be.........
Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Air vents are there for a reason. May not be your issue, but don't block them.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree that it's probably a stuck relay. You may not be able to get an exact replacement; but, you should be able to find something with the same coil voltage and contact arrangement. The placement of the terminals on the replacement may be different and you may have to get creative with mounting it; but, I don't see a bad relay as being something that will send this set to the dump.
Audiokarma
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
My sony is still having issues..... Even with the control rubber banded down on the board she still goes into protect mode,etc........ I did order another DE-185 the other day...... Its really sad...... I DONT KNOW HOW THE CONTROL GOT LOOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

I didnt slam it down on its side!!!! -- I was very gental (I was cleaning where she sits)

Maybe the heat from it being on so long loosend it? (With the vents covered maybe (I have my tape deck on top of it (The only air vents that get let air in are on the side)))

I hope thats not it but could be.........
I have an STR-DE545 and after a few years of use the speakers started cutting out. Just resoldering all the relay terminals fixed it and I have had no issues in something like 10 years since resoldering. (I bought it 16 years ago!) I would not be surprised if those joints were cold from the factory and a few years of normal use broke them. You should try that too.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I agree that it's probably a stuck relay. You may not be able to get an exact replacement; but, you should be able to find something with the same coil voltage and contact arrangement. The placement of the terminals on the replacement may be different and you may have to get creative with mounting it; but, I don't see a bad relay as being something that will send this set to the dump.
The set hasn't had issues since, so I haven't been able to do the tap test. When the time comes, I'll just put in a new relay, the old one seems tired.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

It happened again, and I recorded a video. Tapping the side didn't do anything. It turned off eventually after 10-15 tries. Is it a power relay?

https://youtu.be/ke62Pw5Leck
Old 01-14-2018, 01:04 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Might be easiest to just unplug it when you wanna turn it off until we can figure out whats going on with the switch......
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Might be easiest to just unplug it when you wanna turn it off until we can figure out whats going on with the switch......
Relay might be magnetized. The coil works on DC, so it can pick up residual magnetism.
Maybe you can get a tape head demagnetizer and pass it over the relay or make a home made demagnetizer out of a bolt and several turns of wire, connected to a 6 volt transformer. You need AC to do a good job of demagnetizing.
Audiokarma