Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tube radio repairman out there?

Hi everyone

I am trying to resurrect a GE H-87 console radio that I have had since 1971, when it was given to me by my aunt. When I got it, the audio was so distorted you could not make out what was playing. An old-time repairman at the time fixed it and it worked fine for years. Several years ago, I turned it on and there were no stations received across the band. Recently, I pulled the chassis and hooked up audio to the "TV input" and, lo and behold, there was perfect, full-bore audio present. But no radio while trying to tune something in. I did a wax paper capacitor replacement and still no stations. I then hoked up a RF signal generator to the input of the 6SQ7 detector and a very very faint tone came through. Moving back to the 6SK7 IF amp, there was a trace of audio present, but so weak you had to put your ear to the speaker to hear it. So it kind-of-sort-of barely works. Next I checked the power supply voltages and they seemed close to what you'd expect, however, the schematic I downloaded from Nostalgia Air doesn't have voltages on it. I also checked the switches on the front for "manual tune" and "Television" (audio input) to make sure they were making contact. So far, nothing. I have reached the end of the road and don't know what to do next. I guess I'm looking for a reputable & reliable repair place who knows the old stuff and is willing to work on it. I'd prefer someone in the south-central PA. area. Can anyone either tell me what to look at next or perhaps know of someone who works on radios like this. Thanks! John (Mr. Indian Head)